1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So, I didn't get the internship

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    I had my first real interview for a job (internship) exactly 3 weeks ago. I recieved a letter yesterday saying that I didn't get the internship, but I am really curious why I didn't get it. It seemed like I had all the qualifications they were looking for and a bit more. Is there any problem with sending an email to the interviewer (same person who signed the letter) to ask him why I didn't get it? What should I ask him in the email?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2
    Sure ask it.

Just ask which criteria they used to hire somebody new and to what extent those criteria were important with respect to each other (what is the weighing factor for each criterium itself, you see ? )

Can i ask you why you thought you had the right qualifications and a bit more ? How do you know this ?

Keep in mind that if somebody gives three different qualifications, they might not be equally important for the new job. Perhaps, they looked at the applications like that ?

ps : it is not the end of the world, you will get many other opprtunities in your life. Do not worry...walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain...

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

DEFINITELY get in touch and get feedback from your interview! You haven't got the place, you have nothing to lose, so you may as well get something out of it, and find out where you went wrong. Even when you succeed at an interview it's helpful to get some feedback, particularly if the person interviewing you is someone you'll be expected to work with.
  5. Nov 17, 2005 #4
    Doing something like that is always a good idea, it shows that you have more interest then 99% of the people he or she interviewed. It will make you stick out in the interviewers mind should something else open up or if the other person doesn't work out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?