So I figured out why I hate math, now how do I figure out how to like

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of learning math and how to overcome it. The speaker acknowledges that math can be tedious and frustrating, especially when faced with long and complex problems. However, they also highlight the importance of practicing and building a strong foundation in math in order to excel in more advanced courses and develop problem-solving skills. Ultimately, the key to enjoying and succeeding in math is to master the fundamentals and continue practicing and honing skills.
Tyrion101
So I figured out why I hate math, now how do I figure out how to like

Math is very tedious, sometimes it seems to the absurd, do x, y z, then a,b,c and you're not even to some sort of answer yet, you still have 1,2,3 to do. I think my problem is I get bored around step b, then angry when I realize I still have c,1,2, and 3 to do. My point is, how do I learn to tolerate the problems that seem to be never ending?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
Math is very tedious, sometimes it seems to the absurd, do x, y z, then a,b,c and you're not even to some sort of answer yet, you still have 1,2,3 to do. I think my problem is I get bored around step b, then angry when I realize I still have c,1,2, and 3 to do. My point is, how do I learn to tolerate the problems that seem to be never ending?
In one of your other posts you said you aspire to an EE degree, so you're taking the math classes that are prerequisite to that discipline. The classes you're currently in are at a relatively low level, in comparison to the classes that you'll see later on. There's an old question - "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" The answer is "Practice, practice."

What you're doing now is that practice, the same as if you wanted to play at a high level in some sport, pretty much the same as how you get good at anything. Before you run, you have to learn to walk, and before that, you have to learn to crawl. As you get further along in your studies, the problems get more interesting - at least that's how they seemed to me. When you have more sophisticated mathematics techniques under your belt, the problems become more interesting.

Honing skills requires repetition, repetition, repetition.

You won't be able to be truly creative unless you master those skills

1. Why do I hate math in the first place?

There could be several reasons why you hate math, such as a negative past experience, difficulty understanding concepts, or a lack of interest. Identifying the root cause can help you find ways to overcome your dislike for math.

2. How can I change my attitude towards math?

One way to change your attitude towards math is to understand its practical applications and real-life significance. You can also try to find enjoyment in solving math problems by using creative and fun approaches.

3. What are some tips for improving my math skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work on math problems, the more familiar and comfortable you will become with the subject. Additionally, try to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

4. Are there any resources that can help me learn to like math?

Yes, there are plenty of resources available, such as online tutorials, educational apps, and math games. You can also join study groups or attend workshops to improve your math skills in a collaborative and supportive environment.

5. Is it possible for me to actually like math?

Absolutely! While it may take some time and effort, it is possible for anyone to develop a liking for math. Keep an open mind, be patient with yourself, and celebrate small victories along the way. With dedication and perseverance, you can learn to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of math.