Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So, I hate vacations.

1. Jun 20, 2008 #1
    I'm starting out my undergrad as a Biochemistry major in the fall. I'm pretty annoyed with all this time I have right now, considering I have absolutely nothing to do. I have to retake the general classes again along with Calc. Though I'm working in a lab at my college during the week, so it's not a completely agonizing wait. Any advice on how to pass the time until I can go to school again?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If I were you I'd either go on vacation, or take up a hobby, or spend time with friends, etc... Cherish the free time while you still have it!
  4. Jun 20, 2008 #3
    Well, I don't have money for vacations. Most of my hobbies include science, so I'm kinda screwed here. Also, i've been going out with friends, but it gets boring fast.
  5. Jun 20, 2008 #4
    Why don't you spend the time reading textbooks?

You could call the university bookstore and ask which textbooks your fall courses are using (assuming you have already registered for courses) and then order the books from Amazon, so that you save money and get them early to start reading them.

You could also work on reviewing math, practicing whatever algebra or calculus you had in high school.
  6. Jun 20, 2008 #5
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Thing is, my college is forcing me to take the gen crap again. The only thing I see as fruitful is reviewing math, since it's hard to get to that point where you can actually do math without making a single mistake, at least for me.
  7. Jun 20, 2008 #6
    I think that error-free calculations mostly come from increased focus and perception. I recommend concentrating on looking at the symbols and on writing them well, this seemingly minor aspect will help you to see the details of the calculation and avoid mistakes. I think this is better than just doing calculations over and again all day, just do a few each day and practice your concentration and focus.

I don't blame you for being bored by gen-ed requirements, so instead of buying your gen-ed textbooks you could just read ahead about biochemistry topics that interest you. Don't worry about learning too much, since the more learning you do the better you get at it.
  8. Jun 20, 2008 #7
    Wow, I didn't make that connection, actually. Usually on tests I get nervous and when I double check I don't really concentrate too much. Any tips for improving concentration and focus? I'm making this problem sound worse than it is, considering I held the highest average in Calc in HS.

Thanks for the advice.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?