SO I have an Exam Tomorrow. Review Questions

In summary, Velocity, Acceleration, Displacement, Headache are all important concepts when it comes to physics.
Mykester
Velocity, Acceleration, Displacement, Headache

I have an exam tomorrow. Can you help me out with these physics questions? They are review questions that I am stuck on.

1) Distance is 45 km and it took 3 seconds what is the speed. If the displacement is 7 km north what is the velocity?

*I know the speed is 15km/s, but I don't get the velocity. (I know velocity = displacement over time).

2) Draw a scale vector diagram to find the resultant displacement of the following scenario. A football is thrown 30 m north 85 degrees west. Then run 3 m north 10 degrees east. Finally kick 21 m east 80 degrees south.

* I don't understand the degree part.

3) A cart is accelerating at a rate of 0.6m/s(squared). After 7 seconds it is moving at 4.7m/s(sq). What was it's initial velocity.

*I got 32.9, is that correct?

4) A ball is rolling down a ramp from rest. How long will it take to reach a velocity of 6.0 m/s, if its acceleration is 1.5 m/s(sq)?

* Really don't know where to start. Acceleration is velocity over time. So do I move it aaournd, so I have t=va? In which my answer should be 9?

5) Instantaneous velocity at 65 m/s? (From question 4)

I'd like to know how to do each of these questions, as in my science teacher cared more about his baby than his own class (they had a baby).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mykester said:
I have an exam tomorrow. Can you help me out with these physics questions? They are review questions that I am stuck on.

1) Distance is 45 km and it took 3 seconds what is the speed. If the displacement is 7 km north what is the velocity?

*I know the speed is 15km/s, but I don't get the velocity. (I know velocity = displacement over time).
How did you calculate the speed? What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Mykester said:
2) Draw a scale vector diagram to find the resultant displacement of the following scenario. A football is thrown 30 m north 85 degrees west. Then run 3 m north 10 degrees east. Finally kick 21 m east 80 degrees south.

* I don't understand the degree part.
What do you mean? A degree is a measure of angle.

Mykester said:
3) A cart is accelerating at a rate of 0.6m/s(squared). After the seconds it is moving at 4.7m/s(sq). What was it's initial velocity.

*I got 32.9, is that correct?
How did you get this? You need to show your working, or we can't help you.

Mykester said:
4) A ball is rolling down a ramp from rest. How long will it take to reach a velocity of 6.0 m/s, if its acceleration is 1.5 m/s(sq)?

* Really don't know where to start. Acceleration is velocity over time. So do I move it aaournd, so I have t=va? In which my answer should be 9?
That looks fine to me.
Mykester said:
5) Instantaneous velocity at 65 m/s? (From question 4)
What do you think?
Mykester said:
I'd like to know how to do each of these questions, as in my science teacher cared more about his baby than his own class (they had a baby).
Well.. that seems quite normal to me! You must have some notes from class, or some text that you are working from, to attempt these problems with.

1) Speed = distance over time. So 45/3 = 15 km/s. Velocity is change in position. But I do not know where to go from there.

2) I don't know how to draw it.

3) It got cut off. It was in 7 seconds it is moving 4.7 m/s^2. Acceleration = velocity over time, so I did 4.7 = v/7, moved the 7 over and multiplied the two to get the answer.

5) No clue :(

3) u can start from origin on a graph. the scale on both axis should be same

30 m north 80 degrees west --- draw a line of 30m at an angle of 80 degrees from y-axis towards west(left)

3m north 10 degrees east ----from the end point of first line, draw a line of 3m at an angle of 10 degrees from y-axis towards east(right)

so on...

1. What is the best way to review for an exam?

The best way to review for an exam is to start early and break up the material into smaller chunks. This will give you enough time to cover all the material and avoid cramming. Practice active learning techniques such as making flashcards, summarizing notes, and taking practice tests.

2. How can I stay focused while reviewing for an exam?

To stay focused while reviewing for an exam, try to eliminate distractions such as your phone or social media. Find a quiet and comfortable study space, and take regular breaks to avoid burnout. It can also be helpful to set specific goals for each study session.

3. Should I study alone or in a group for an exam?

This varies from person to person, but studying with a group can be beneficial as it allows for discussion and helps fill in any gaps in your understanding. However, studying alone can also be effective as it allows for more focused and individualized studying. It's best to try both and see which method works best for you.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while reviewing for an exam?

To manage your time effectively, create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize the material that you are struggling with and allocate more time to review those topics. Avoid procrastination and try to spread out your studying over a few days instead of cramming everything into one day.

5. What should I do the night before an exam?

The night before an exam, make sure to get a good night's sleep and avoid studying too late. Take some time to relax and do something enjoyable to reduce stress. Review any important notes or flashcards, but try not to learn any new material. Lastly, make sure to set multiple alarms and have all your necessary materials ready for the next day.