So I just had my first day of work at Fermilab

In summary, the coffee shop on the 9th floor of the tower had a clever prank where they rotated the large label reading "9th Floor" to read "6th Floor". This prank often left unsuspecting passersby completely disoriented and confused.
brendank
and it was AMAZING! :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
that's cool.

What were you working on, if I may ask?

Tell us more! What are you doing there?

Glad you like it. Have a great summer!

brendank said:
OK, teaser! Did you get to meet Rocky Kolb? Did you sweep out the parking lot? Details, man!

G01 said:
What were you working on, if I may ask?

Of course s/he can tell you. But then, well, you know. :eek:

Any unclassified details you can share, brendank? Congrats! :cool:

berkeman said:
Of course s/he can tell you. But then, well, you know. :eek:

O cmon! Your being paranoid, its not like G-Men are going to come to my house and............

On second thought, G01 thinks, I mean I think...yes I am G01...that it was stupid of me to inquire as to the whereabouts/proceedings/ outcomes of the previously mentioned person/meeting/event.:tongue2:

G01 said:
O cmon! Your being paranoid, its not like G-Men are going to come to my house and............

On second thought, G01 thinks, I mean I think...yes I am G01...that it was stupid of me to inquire as to the whereabouts/proceedings/ outcomes of the previously mentioned person/meeting/event.:tongue2:

Seen some nice friendly men in black suits tonight? Me too...:zzz:

You do know that saying an experience was amazing without giving any details is a punishable offence right? :cool:

:biggrin:

Last edited:
brendank said:

Yes that was good coffee. Keep it up!

Chi Meson said:
Yes that was good coffee. Keep it up!

:rofl:

Yeah, c'mon, tell us a bit about it. Was it just getting to see the facilities and tour them, or watching someone else do experiments that were interesting, or did you just get to have a pleasant chat with some well-known physicists while bringing them their coffee? :biggrin: If you keep teasing us like this, when we have the PF gathering in Chicago next month (are you joining us for that?) we'll have to hunt you down and get the details by any means necessary. :biggrin: :devil:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Do you work in the tower? or in the ring? or elsewhere?

(As a summer student there, I fondly remember
...unsuccessfully racing up the open stairwells in the atrium
...throwing paper airplanes from the open stairwell into the atrium
...playing a prank concerning relabelling the floor numbers in the stairwell
...and reading a lot of cool books in the library.)

robphy said:
(As a summer student there, I fondly remember
...playing a prank concerning relabelling the floor numbers in the stairwell

Do tell! Did you just renumber them, or did you add more creative labels? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Do tell! Did you just renumber them, or did you add more creative labels? :biggrin:

We peeled off the large 9th floor label and rotated it to read "6".
Folks traveling on the stairwell, usually engrossed reading some printouts, were surprised to look up and see a "6", which often left them completely disoriented... some even turning around to return to the previous floor.

(edit: If I recall correctly, there was a computer room on the 10th floor where folks picked up their printouts. Engrossed in reading the printouts, upon seeing the "6", they probably thought that they walked down too many flights... so they turned around looking to get to their target floor.)

For those not familiar with the atrium, here's a photo I found the web
party_03.jpg

Last edited:

What is Fermilab?

Fermilab, short for Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, is a US Department of Energy national laboratory located in Batavia, Illinois. It is a world-renowned center for particle physics research and home to the world's most powerful particle accelerator, the Tevatron.

What can I expect on my first day of work at Fermilab?

On your first day of work at Fermilab, you will likely participate in an orientation program where you will learn about the laboratory's history, mission, and values. You will also receive a tour of the facilities and meet your coworkers.

What type of research is conducted at Fermilab?

Fermilab is primarily focused on particle physics research, including the study of subatomic particles and their behavior. This includes projects such as particle accelerators, neutrino research, and dark matter experiments.

What are the benefits of working at Fermilab?

As a national laboratory, Fermilab offers many benefits to its employees, including competitive salaries, comprehensive health and wellness programs, and opportunities for career growth and development. Employees also have the chance to work on cutting-edge research projects and collaborate with top scientists from around the world.

How can I get involved in research at Fermilab?

There are several ways to get involved in research at Fermilab, including applying for a job or internship, participating in a fellowship program, or collaborating with a scientist at the laboratory. You can also attend lectures and seminars at Fermilab to learn more about their research and potentially get involved in a project that interests you.