1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I missed a test

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    So needless to say I missed a physics test today, and I'm pretty sure that my professor will not let me make it up seeing as how I don't have a very good reason. The power went out and my alarm just never turned itself on -- it's not like I was too ill to take it or something legit. So doing some damage control the best I can do in the class now, if I perfect the final (probably wont happen) I can get a C.

My problem is I plan on going into grad school and how bad would that look? Should I withdraw and take it again, or just accept it. It really bums me out because prior to this I think I had the highest grade in the class, so it's not like I don't understand the material being taught -- I just missed a test XD

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

First things first, you asked to make up the test right? What I've noticed, at least in my university, is that the more a class is worth as far as grad school admissions go, the more likely professors are to let you make up tests. Some let you make up the test, some just have your final worth more to make up for the missed test. This is regardless of what they say on their syllabus!

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3
    Talk to him and be fully bluntly honest about it. That is all you can really do. Just ask him what your options are, if you can make it up great. If not he'd be better giving you advice than we could.

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree with what's been said. Professors have the authority to deny a makeup test (and often do), but in such a situation it is worth asking whether or not you could do a makeup. Another option might be to see if your professor would be willing to weight the test more heavily in favour of the final exam.

6. Apr 20, 2009 #5
    We can't foresee everything. If the power went out, you have an excuse (especially if other people missed the exam). Use it! Talk to the professor - if that doesn't work, talk to the department chair - if that doesn't work, talk to the dean. At worst, they can tell you no. If they each say no in turn, you can drop the course, as you suggested.

A C in an upper level class is bad for grad admissions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. Apr 20, 2009 #6
    If you had the highest grade in the class, It may be more likely than not that he may empathize with you. Then again, I am in highschool, and have no idea what most profs are like.

If he says no, try your best to get a 100(too grab his attention) on your final, then drop the class and take it again he may sympathize with you more next time, which is a good thing.

But, don't be any less then completely honest with him otherwise he will notice.

8. Apr 20, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There are deadlines to drop classes that prevent people from dropping classes when the course is over and aren't satisfied with their grades.

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8
    I'd even look into seeing if your power company can validate (perhaps via email) the power failure.

My syllabus says students can make up work for documented person or family illness or documented legal reasons (say they need to be in court or give a police report for their apartment being burglarized). However, even though it's not on my syllabus, I've also let students make up missed work for documented academic reasons (say they are attending a conference and show me the proceeding from the conference). Generally, the more documentation, the better. Without documentation, I don't let students make up missed tests... but I also typically drop one test equivalent (with the final being weighted as two test equivalents).... but that's just my policy.

I'll also concur that, at this point, so late in the term, you probably CAN'T drop the class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook