So I plug in a circuit 299,792,458 meters long into my wall outlet

In summary: You'd need to install an extra hardware layer, and the protocol wouldn't scale well.In summary, the Electric force travels at c on the wire, and the circumference is 299,792,458 meters long.
BrianConlee
Hope the subject caught your attention, I just wanted to clarify my some things about ac current...

Ok, for our "circuit" we're going to have copper wire for simplicity's sake. Also, we're going to say that our Electric force travels at c on the wire. Just a big loop, no sharp turns, nothing crazy. Ignore the obscene Ohmic losses we would have unless our voltage was in the google range. (wow, can you imagine that?) And the circumfrence is 299,792,458 meters long.

Now, with the 60 Hz current coming out of my wall, and the circuit an entire light second long:

1. Does the signal travel from positive to negative, taking an entire second to circle the circuit or does the signal leave both terminals simultaneously and "meet in the middle" taking 1/2 a second to effectively traverse the entire circuit?

2. At any given instant, if you freeze the circuit in time, is the current changing direction 120 times along the entire circuit? (2 direction changes per hertz on a sinosoidial wave).

3. Since the whole circuit is just one big loop with a current, is it a solenoid? Or, if question 2 is "yes," how does this affect things?

4. Assuming copper is about .75 per meter, does anyone have about 225 million dollars I can borrow to build it? I'm sure the U.S. Government could just write a check, right?Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The paradigm for your example as an AC circuit with long length relative to the wavelength of the AC signal. When you switch on the current the two ends of the circuit will behave like independent wave-guides. They will have a large capacitance and impedance at the given ac frequency and so the 60Hz waves will propagate down each end meeting at the far point a half second later. Given it is exactly 1 light-second in length and given the AC signal is exactly 60Hz you'll get constructive interference at the far end and after one second the current should settle down to approximately the long term cyclic behavior.

Now this is a gross simplification. The actual propagation will initially follow the Telegrapher's equation, propagating more like a series of diffusive waves until it settles down to long term "steady" state. Even with no pure resistance you'll get radiative losses.

What you have is basically a loop antenna for ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) radio.

jambaugh said:
after one second the current should settle down to approximately the long term cyclic behavior.

Now this is a gross simplification. The actual propagation will initially follow the Telegrapher's equation, propagating more like a series of diffusive waves until it settles down to long term "steady" state.

So, basically, the entire loop will be changing polarity in unison? Not as waves running down the loop?

Oh, and thank you very much for the answer to the 1 second / .5 second question.

You need to remember that there is no such thing as "suddenly" turning on a 60Hz signal; try drawing the waveform (in the time-domain) and you will see why.
I guess what you have in mind is a sinusodial waveform modulated by a step function (which obviously won't be a real step-function in a real circuit).
However, a waveform like that will contain a LOT of high-frequency information meaning it is not really a "steady state" 60 Hz sine until everything has settled down which can take quite a while. As jambaugh has already suggested you need to solve a telegraph equation in order to see how thing really evolve in time (not really difficult, but quite messy).

If you are interested in this I would suggest you download e.g. LTSpice (free from www.linear.com) and play with some simple circuits.

If you had two parallel wires, one for positive and one for negative, or one for hot AC and one for neutral AC, you would have both electric and magnetic fields between the two conductors. The pair would be about 1.5 x 10^8 meters long, and a TEM (transverse electric magnetic) wave would take about 1/2 second to get to the end, and another 1/2 second to get back. If you had a single turn coil (solenoid) you still need time to charge up the magnetic field in the center of the loop, and the time would be similar. If there are no losses, and the coil did not radiate (like a loop antenna), it would just oscillate, using the permeability and permittivity of free space as the resonant inductance and capacitance.

If you have access to a 1Ghz DSO, a signal source, and a hundred meter or longer section of wire not in a tight coil, but looped back gently on itself, you have a very instructive experiment.

Several reasons why Fast-Ethernet doesn't work well beyond about 200m are visible.

1. What would happen if I plugged in a circuit 299,792,458 meters long into my wall outlet?

Plugging in a circuit that is 299,792,458 meters long into a standard wall outlet would likely cause the circuit to overload. The maximum length of wire that can be safely used with a standard outlet is typically around 100 feet (30 meters). The excess length of the circuit would create high resistance and generate excess heat, potentially leading to a fire hazard.

2. Can I use a circuit that is 299,792,458 meters long for any electrical device?

No, a circuit of that length would not be suitable for any electrical device. Most devices require a specific amount of voltage and amperage, and the length of the circuit would impact the amount of electricity that can reach the device. Additionally, the resistance and heat generated by such a long circuit could damage the device or pose a safety risk.

3. What is the significance of the number 299,792,458 in this scenario?

The number 299,792,458 represents the speed of light in a vacuum, which is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It is used in this scenario because it is a very large number, highlighting the potential dangers of using a circuit that is extremely long.

4. Is it safe to use a shorter circuit that is still longer than the recommended length for a wall outlet?

It is generally not recommended to use a circuit that is longer than the recommended length for a wall outlet. While the risk may be lower than using a circuit that is 299,792,458 meters long, it can still create excess resistance and heat, potentially leading to a fire hazard. It is always best to follow the recommended guidelines for circuit length to ensure safety.

5. Can I modify my wall outlet to accommodate a longer circuit?

No, it is not safe to modify a wall outlet to accommodate a longer circuit. Wall outlets are designed to handle a specific amount of voltage and amperage, and modifying them could create a safety hazard. If you need to use a longer circuit, it is best to consult a professional electrician for proper installation and safety precautions.