Can Electrical Engineers Transition to Physics for Graduate Studies?

• Thread starter IbrahimMisbah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, your options are to switch to another university or to continue with your current university and major in electrical engineering, although it may be difficult.
IbrahimMisbah
So I want to be a physicist!

Hi there...
So, here is my problem..I didn't think my way through and got enrolled in an electrical engineering program.I am in my 2nd yr now.It's not like I don't like Electrical Engineering..It's okay but I am finding my interest getting always hooked up with Physics.So, I was just wondering whether it's possible to make a switch to mainstream physics in graduate studies.

your help will be appreciated
Thanks
ims

Physics news on Phys.org

If you're still in your 2nd year, why don't switch major right now instead of waiting till grad school ? many of your credits would be transferred and your graduation would be delayed by probably a maximum of one year. Of course whether that is possible or not depends on which country are you living in. But if it is allowed, it would be much better than doing it in grad school

Sorry...the switching is not possible...not at my university.

Just take as many Physics courses as possible then. Try cramming in classes like upper level Mechanics, Quantum and E&M into your schedule.

If you can change the engineering part then I suggest engineering physics. If not go to a CC and start over since you can't change your major, but that's just me not knowing what your situation is.

yes, several of my classmates in grad school came from slightly different majors like Optical Science etc. You might be required to take some undegrad classes during grad program. But to apply to grad program, you will need to pass GRE-Physics which already implies pretty much background. Part of that will be covered while getting degree of EE.

IbrahimMisbah said:
Sorry...the switching is not possible...not at my university.

Is transferring to another university out of the question? If so, why?

Dembadon said:
Is transferring to another university out of the question? If so, why?

I study at Dhaka university in Bangladesh.It's the best university in the country.My parents wouldn't allow me to change university or subject...So, I am kind of stuck!...I would love to hear about the grad possibility though.I understand that it's going to be hard.But it's possible right?

1. What is a physicist?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the natural world and its properties, including matter, energy, space, and time. They use mathematical and experimental methods to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

2. What skills do I need to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and computer science. Good communication skills and the ability to think critically and creatively are also essential.

3. What education is required to become a physicist?

Most physicists hold a doctoral degree in physics or a related field, such as astronomy or engineering. A bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically required for admission to a graduate program in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for physicists?

Physicists work in a variety of fields, including academia, government, and industry. They may conduct research, teach at universities, or work in areas such as aerospace, energy, or healthcare. Many physicists also pursue careers in data analysis and computer programming.

5. How can I prepare for a career as a physicist?

To prepare for a career as a physicist, it is important to excel in math and science courses in high school and pursue a degree in physics or a related field in college. You can also gain valuable experience through research internships or assistantships, and networking with professionals in the field can also be beneficial.