So I want to learn a martial art.

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary: Because I would lose. He's a professional fighter and I'm not. Third, if you want to learn martial arts, learn something that is meant for self-defense. There are plenty of types of martial arts that will do that. karate, jujitsu, boxing, tae kwon do, etc. Just make sure you pick the right one for you.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm probably not going to have time this summer to learn a martial art, but I've been considering it for a while. The next time I have a chance, I think I am going to take one up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular martial art. I want one that will be able to increase my agility and endurance and I also want to be able to use it to defend myself if need be.(I guess all martial arts fall under this category. I just know I heard stuff about Judo and how its not really meant to be used in actual fights etc. Hopefully I won't be getting into too many fights, but you know, just in case.:rolleyes: )

Physics news on Phys.org
I would not recommend using martial arts to defend yourself unles you want to get yourself hurt. Block kick punch won't do you much good against a gun or knife in the hands of a crazy. When you take karate the guys always stabbing at you and you grab his hand and twist it and its all so nice and controlled. Id like to see you block the guy that comes at you and then stealthily takes out a knife and hacks like a nut.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I would not recommend using martial arts to defend yourself unles you want to get yourself hurt. Block kick punch won't do you much good against a gun or knife in the hands of a crazy. When you take karate the guys always stabbing at you and you grab his hand and twist it and its all so nice an controlled. Id like to see you block the guy that comes at you and then stealthily takes out a knife and hacks like a nut.

Good point. I still would like to learn one though, for several reasons..I would just like to know one... Also, its not like it can hurt to know a martial art.

Learn one if you want to, I used to do it when I was a kid. Now I don't care for it. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just that I would not use it to defend myself.

If someone were coming at me at the bar, I wouldn't go HIYAAA block block block kick kick....id probably just grab a bar stool and bash his head in with it (and hed probably do that to you too).

cyrusabdollahi said:
I would not recommend using martial arts to defend yourself unles you want to get yourself hurt. Block kick punch won't do you much good against a gun or knife in the hands of a crazy. When you take karate the guys always stabbing at you and you grab his hand and twist it and its all so nice an controlled. Id like to see you block the guy that comes at you and then stealthily takes out a knife and hacks like a nut.

Man, you have no idea what you're talking about.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Learn one if you want to, I used to do it when I was a kid. Now I don't care for it. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just that I would not use it to defend myself.

If someone were coming at me at the bar, I wouldn't go HIYAAA block block block kick kick....id probably just grab a bar stool and bash his head in with it (and hed probably do that to you too).

Again, you know nothing.

Thanks, chuck norris.

Unless your really, really good at martial arts. You an't going to defend yourself against an attacker.

Any type of mixed martial arts would work well. But then again you have to consider that getting hit in the head so much may not be too productive for your academics ;)

I still think it can't hurt to know a martial art. Yes, that crazy guy with a knife probably is not going to throw a controlled blow, but still martial arts teach you how to block blows in general. I can't imagine I wouldn't be a tiny bit better off knowing a martial art.

Ok, if you want to learn martial arts, stay away from Judo and Karate and things like that. They are made for kids and idiots who watch movies.

First thing is first. Don't listen to people who know nothing about it at all. I know nothing, but will just show you where to get started. I have a friend who fights in tournaments like UFC style. Let me tell you that I would never attempt fighting him even with a knife in my hand. When you go to a bar, it's rare that fights involve weapons like knives and guns. So, technically, you can defend yourself for sure in those kind of risks.

Second, why wouldn't I fight my friend with a knife in my hand? Because he is trained to deal will such things and keep his cool and even withstand PAIN from a potential stab. Cyrus makes it sound like you can just run up to a guy and stab them. It's not that easy at all. I doubt Cyrus ever held a knife before because stabbing someone who is trained is not ****ing easy in no way shape or form.

Third, you are trained like I said. My friend will openly let people kick him in the leg as hard you can or punch in the abs as hard as you can. They literally train to take pain and a lot of hits. When he first started, he said he always came home with full of bruises. Again, he chose to train to win. You can choose to train without all the hardcore stuff, but after awhile, you will get to where he is which isn't even that far. I couldn't imagine fighting someone even more advanced than him.

Anyways, this forum is the best place to start that I know of.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Go on and search for other beginner topics. Don't just start another thread about it.

Beeza said:
Any type of mixed martial arts would work well. But then again you have to consider that getting hit in the head so much may not be too productive for your academics ;)

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should consider how the head blows would affect me:smile:

JasonRox said:
Ok, if you want to learn martial arts, stay away from Judo and Karate and things like that. They are made for kids and idiots who watch movies.

First thing is first. Don't listen to people who know nothing about it at all. I know nothing, but will just show you where to get started. I have a friend who fights in tournaments like UFC style. Let me tell you that I would never attempt fighting him even with a knife in my hand. When you go to a bar, it's rare that fights involve weapons like knives and guns. So, technically, you can defend yourself for sure in those kind of risks.

Second, why wouldn't I fight my friend with a knife in my hand? Because he is trained to deal will such things and keep his cool and even withstand PAIN from a potential stab. Cyrus makes it sound like you can just run up to a guy and stab them. It's not that easy at all. I doubt Cyrus ever held a knife before because stabbing someone who is trained is not ****ing easy in no way shape or form.

Third, you are trained like I said. My friend will openly let people kick him in the leg as hard you can or punch in the abs as hard as you can. They literally train to take pain and a lot of hits. When he first started, he said he always came home with full of bruises. Again, he chose to train to win. You can choose to train without all the hardcore stuff, but after awhile, you will get to where he is which isn't even that far. I couldn't imagine fighting someone even more advanced than him.

Anyways, this forum is the best place to start that I know of.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Go on and search for other beginner topics. Don't just start another thread about it.

Thanks alot, Jason. I'll check out the forum. Do you know what arts your friend is trained in?

Jason Rox said:
Don't listen to people who know nothing about it at all. I know nothing, but will just show you where to get started.

So why should we listen to you then?

I thought I said I did karate long time ago. You're an idiot man.

cyrusabdollahi said:
So why should we listen to you then?

I thought I said I did karate long time ago. You're an idiot man.

Karate as a kid doesn't even count. They don't even teach real karate to kids. I did it too... big deal.

G01 said:
Thanks alot, Jason. I'll check out the forum. Do you know what arts your friend is trained in?

He does Muay Thai. I would personally say that's the best for self-defense because it's mostly grappling base. But personally, I would just look for a MMA training place and they will train you on 1 to 2 things like a grappling martial arts and a bit of striking martial arts. If you live in a big city, there should be a MMA studio somewhere.

I will be in a big city Area this summer, maybe I'll check that out.

JasonRox said:
Karate as a kid doesn't even count. They don't even teach real karate to kids. I did it too... big deal.

Oh right, they teach 'fake' karate because the class had adults in it as well. Just stop putting your own foot in your mouth every post, will you?

I said do martial arts if you enjoy it and find it fun; but, don't count on using it to save your life unless you're really really good. Read what I write next time chuck.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen this guys videos before?

This is how people on the street will fight you, dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take Jeet Kune Do. Founded by Bruce Lee.

History aside, it is probably the most practical and possibly most powerful art. I am in tae kwon do myself

Last edited:
I think that cyrus' point is that most people never achieve "master" status and become overly confident in their abilities. I love the Indiana Jones movie where Harrison Ford is attacked by the sword fighting assasin and he just blows him away with his gun. :biggrin:

I think taking a martial arts class just for the balance, agility etc... would be a good thing. Go1 doesn't seem to have any ideas of gaining any special abilities, he's quite grounded.

Evo said:
I think that cyrus' point is that most people never achieve "master" status and become overly confident in their abilities. I love the Indiana Jones movie where Harrison Ford is attacked by the sword fighting assasin and he just blows him away with his gun. :biggrin:

haha

the legend is that entire scene was supposed to be him taking out his whip and fancily pulling the swords out of his hands, but he was tired and grumpy from a long day of shooting so he just whipped out his gun and ended it instead

Ki Man said:
haha

the legend is that entire scene was supposed to be him taking out his whip and fancily pulling the swords out of his hands, but he was tired and grumpy from a long day of shooting so he just whipped out his gun and ended it instead
That's pretty much what I heard, that he was sick that day and just decided to shoot the guy and end the scene. It was great. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I think taking a martial arts class just for the balance, agility etc... would be a good thing. Go1 doesn't seem to have any ideas of gaining any special abilities, he's quite grounded.

Evo, So your telling me I won't be able to become Batman!??!:biggrin:

In all seriousness though, some of my reasons for wanting to learn a martial art are:

1. A way to workout that involves mental training as well as physical.

2. Boost my agility.

3. Basic self defense, since, while I consider myself to be somewhat strong, I have no idea how to handle an attacker, and learning a martial art can not hurt in this regard.

Last edited:
I can't see any reason to not take classes, it's all positive in my opinion.

The company I worked for years ago gave all of the women free instruction on self defense and it was great. There are little tricks you can use in the right situation that will give you just enough of an edge to throw off an unarmed attacker, which a lot of times happens to women because the assailant assumes the woman is an easy target and is often spur of the moment.

Even if you learn to be more observant and obtain quicker responses, you may be able to avoid getting hit by that barstool, it's not just about fighting back, it can be about not becoming a target in the first place.

Edit: Oh, sorry to be the one to tell you no superpowers. :redface: But wait, Batman didn't have superpowers he had special equipment and Robin had nothing except the ability to say "HOLY COW BATMAN!". Or perhaps it was more bat oriented.

Last edited:
there are a couple different kinds of fighting. there is the fight to kill that involves guns, knives, large things made of metal, broken glass, groin strikes, eye gouges, throat strikes, chokes and small join manipulation. if someone is trying to murder you or if your trying to murder someone, these are the most common weapons/attacks that are going to be used. these fights don't last long because the first person to land an attack usually screws up the other guy to the point where they can hardly fight any more. martial arts will help you a lot with all these things except the guns, and depending on how close you are to the person, martial arts could still help you. mind you, if you are expecting to get into a fight like this, i would suggest moving out of town because you'll be much better off. however, what your looking for is not a martial art, but a self defense course. mind you in a self defense course, they are going to teach you to crush some eyes and throats like you wouldn't believe, but they won't get you in shape or otherwise help you impress women (even drunk chicks are going to be afraid of you if you make someone lose 1/2 their blood supply).

i think you mostly just want to get in shape and at the same time, be able to show some drunk bastard who's boss. karate will get you in shape but unfortunately, most of the training does not center around sparing, but on katas, breaking boards and other repetitive stuff. judo will help you get in shape but again, judo is about being about to beat other judo guys. i think what your looking for is defiantly something more like boxing/kickboxing/muai thai/MMA.

boxing will definitely get you in shape and help you knock out most jokers that give you crap. boxing is fairly main stream so there are bound to be lots of gyms around that you can check out and see if they are the right combination of getting in shape/kicking a&*/getting beat up/

kickboxing is another one that can get you in shape. naturaly, kickboxing will also get your lower half in good shape too, so that's a plus. kickboxing is usually split into two different types though. there is the aerobic kickboxing and the competitive kickboxing. the aerobic stuff is a good way to meet chicks (this is what your getting in shape for, right?) but really doesn't apply too much to your level of a&* kicker since aerobic kickboxing is more of an aerobic workout that involves kicks and punches. note that with the aerobic kickboxing, you have almost a zero chance of getting black eyes, bruised ribs, bloody noses, or concussions. competitive kickboxing is quite different though. in competitive kickboxing its all about training to fight, so you are likely to get in shape faster and collect a nice set of bruises along the way. competitive kickboxing will raise you a&* kicking level quite a lot too.

muai thai is another vary manly way to get in shape. muai thai is like kickboxing but includes the use of elbows and knees. generally, you have the hard core guys in here whom are looking for top notch a&* kicking. expect to get in shape fast in muai thai but also count on getting some knees and elbows in your nose (and learning how to put your's in other peoples noses)

and finally we come to the MMA or Mixed Martial Arts. MMA has become quite popular lately because of the UFC. basically MMA is all about kicking the most a&* without leaving the permanent damage that would result from lots of stitches, brain damage, mangled fingers, crushed eyes, or crushed testicles. MMA athletes are some of the most physically fit people in the world, but they break their noses like crazy.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I guess this all started with my weight training course I took a while back.

I was one of the strongest guys in the class, since I have been weightlifting since junior high, but I feel these other guys, if for some reason they tried to fight me(i don't think of myself as the one starting fights), I would get the crap kicked out of me because I'm not agile and would have no idea what I was doing.

I should really learn some basic defense moves if not from a martial art class, from somewhere. This advice can really apply to anyone, even if your not one to pick fights, that doesn't mean you won't ever be in a situation where you may be forced to have to defend yourself.

Well, you look like one pretty mean order of fries. I wouldn't mess with you.

The goatee makes me look meaner than I am.:biggrin:

Ask MIH if you don't believe me, Frylock (my avatar) is the nerd in "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Last edited:
%notice: if statement

{Just because martial arts is 'useless' against a gun/knife doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It's one way to keep you in shape, it trains balance and speed. If you're actually serious about it, even if you don't attain 'master' status, you're probability of being able to defend yourself is better}

IF

{you're observant enough to only use your physical training when you don't have any other options.}

%I say physical training because that shouldn't be all that's taught in a good martial arts class. Diplomacy, philosophy, and respect are just a few of the important concepts that are involved in traditional martial arts. It's not about not getting mugged or becoming the local vigilante.

To the OP: Bruce Lee had an excellent concept of Gung Fu (Kung Fu) that went back to its origin.

As the schools of Gung Fu progressed and fissioned, different styles began adapting just yin or just yang, being called 'hard' or 'soft' styles.

Bruce Lee brought the two basic concepts back together (drawing on a metaphor of water as the supreme martial artist... because it has surface tension and can crush things, but also can simply 'dodge' your hand if you're going slow enough)

Bruce Lee believed that when fighting an opponent (and not just physically fighting, it starts with diplomacy remember), a combination of 'soft' and 'hard' style is the best. You have to know when to go with your opponent and when to go against them, and that choosing to do only one or the other is faulty.

Also, if you find a good class that spends a lot of time sparring, you get to practice against actual opponent moves and styles, and not trained, repetitive moves. Sparring is very important. If you don't spar, then you're like a musician who can read music but can't improvise.

Last edited:
G01 said:
This advice can really apply to anyone, even if your not one to pick fights, that doesn't mean you won't ever be in a situation where you may be forced to have to defend yourself.

The funny part is that I knew a guy who was a good boxer (well I knew a few) and whenever like someone would try to start a fight with his friends or with him or anything of the sort, he would just turn around and run. If he ever got caught around a public fight or anything, whether his fault or not, his license was on the line.

JasonRox said:
The funny part is that I knew a guy who was a good boxer (well I knew a few) and whenever like someone would try to start a fight with his friends or with him or anything of the sort, he would just turn around and run. If he ever got caught around a public fight or anything, whether his fault or not, his license was on the line.

that had to have sucked for that guy.

JasonRox said:

Yeah, I agree with him that its in your best interest to stay out of fights, whether for a license, reputation etc. I am just worried about a situation where I'm stuck and I would need some kind of self defense to stun the aggressor in order to let me get away or to prevent an attack from hitting me. As I said, I'm not one to start fights, nor do I think it would be enjoyable to be in them. I just want to be able to protect myself, in case I can't escape the situation.

Krav Maga for self defense, and learn Parkour to run away. Only do the former if you can't do the latter.

Evo said:
Edit: Oh, sorry to be the one to tell you no superpowers. :redface: But wait, Batman didn't have superpowers he had special equipment and Robin had nothing except the ability to say "HOLY COW BATMAN!". Or perhaps it was more bat oriented.

I always thought that $50 billion was his super power? :confused:

G01 said:
I'm probably not going to have time this summer to learn a martial art, but I've been considering it for a while. The next time I have a chance, I think I am going to take one up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular martial art. I want one that will be able to increase my agility and endurance and I also want to be able to use it to defend myself if need be.(I guess all martial arts fall under this category. I just know I heard stuff about Judo and how its not really meant to be used in actual fights etc. Hopefully I won't be getting into too many fights, but you know, just in case.:rolleyes: )

Martial arts (the good kind with full-resistance sparring) is overkill for fights i.e. high school, macho 1 on 1 fights and it's not THAT effective in a true self-defense situation i.e. against multiple opponents, knife (You'll feel the knife before you see it and you'll die if your attacker wants you dead), gun.

If you still want to learn an art for self-defense I'd recommend staying away from karate, taekwando, aikido and kung-fu. Though I highly disagree with one of the above poster's suggestion of staying away from judo. Judo is highly effective on the streets and in MMA (bjj, the basis of MMA is basically judo with a focus on the ground). That and boxing would be great. Or bjj and muay thai (though much more expensive combo).

And since I'm a judo whore, here are a few clips from competition/mma:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/judo%2Bmma/video/xoxyl_judo-in-mma

(Warning: May contain broken limbs and magic pants)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wjna_GUg8Y&mode=related&search=

Last edited by a moderator: