Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I'm writing a paper

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

So I'm writing a paper involving Gamma and Beta functions, Dirichlet integrals, Generalized Hypergeometric functions, and a small grab-bag of other miscellaneous special functions. There's this grouping of results that I am most certianly going to generalize; in fact I feel rather like quoting Guass, whom said "My results, I've had them for some time. Problem is, I don't yet know how I am to arrive at them."
    Blah, blah, blah... what I've proved is in the attached PDF.

Have at it. Any conjectures?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2
    Sorry to go off-topic, but was this written in MS Word?

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Yes, the paper was written with MS word/MathType combo => print to PDF.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  5. Nov 17, 2005 #4
    Ahh...I always use MathType too
    (:Love:)

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

C'mon, don't make me nag

No way! Someone's gotta post something :cry: . I really want some feedback on this one. C'mon, don't make me nag.

7. Nov 27, 2005 #6
    Hi, at first look , u don't need to write p and q near F , because they are indexed via a's and b's inside of function. :) ,

8. Nov 27, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you want us to say? It's one page of formula without any proof that they are even remotely correct. THere are no explanations, no introductory words, and no indication of if the work is even original or not. I will remain sceptical of their worth until you correct that.

9. Nov 27, 2005 #8

benorin

Homework Helper

Here's it is, my work-in-progress

Do bear in mind I wrote this paper after having taken only the standard undergard calc sequence, and I haven't updated the proof techniques to match the rigors of analysis.

Regarding the content of my paper: I have come-up with a good portion of it's content of my own work, my results are--sadly--not original, save perhaps one thing, a description of the hypercube for use with Dirichlet Intergrals: but it's broken. Need to re-write using perhaps nets or filters or lim sup/inf convergence of sequences of sets instead of ordinary limits of integer indexed families of sets... blah, blah, blah: I'm sorry.

The intro to the gamma function section consists of proofs I came up, and which are original to my knowledge, and it is an unorthodox procession of theorems and links between standard definitions of it; the inductive proof of the generalized Dirichlet Integrals is distinctive, somewhat original, yet lacking.

Also attached is a proof for the Lerch Transcendent which differs from that given in the paper, and, if you don't have time to read the former, somewhat lengthy rendition.

Do be kind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  10. Dec 19, 2005 #9

benorin

Homework Helper

So, any comments?

11. Dec 19, 2005 #10
    Might I ask which PDF printer you used?

12. Dec 19, 2005 #11

benorin

Homework Helper

Adobe Pro PDF printer

13. Dec 20, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So why would you need such a paper?

Daniel.

14. Dec 20, 2005 #13

benorin

Homework Helper

If I may tell the story...

If I may tell the story...

I started out by asking this question: "What is [itex]\frac{d}{dn}\left(n!\right)[/itex] ?"

Okay, so you can't differentiate discrete functions. Bummer. Hey, wait... Euler was here... the Gamma function? do tell. Neat integral. Analytic continuation, what's that? I see: nice.

After exhausting the understandable potions of my less than extensive library on the subject I was gifted this text: Solved Problems: Gamma and Beta functions, Legendre polynomials, and Bessel functions, by Farrell & Ross. Therein was presented the 2-d and 3-d Dirichlet Integrals, with proofs, which I then promptly generalized to n-d (the proof of that took me about a year.) This spurred my long-lasting love affair Gamma function, and the rest follows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?