Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So let's be positive then

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    So let's be positive then....

What are some of the great qualities in likely 2008 presidential candidates? No smears please. I'll start the ball rolling.

John Edwards is working with the Poverty Center in North Carolina. The aim of this center is to "combat poverty in a way that honors American core beliefs in hard work, responsibility, and family."

I like that he is putting his faith into action, and his money where his mouth is. It's much better than rhetoric. Way to go John!

http://www.law.unc.edu/Centers/details.aspx?ID=425&Q=3

From the other side of the aisle:

John McCain. I love that he is a VietNam vet.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2
    I know you want to be positive, but Edwards is a phony. Don't fall in for his act. He knows nothing about economics, and doesn't have the slightest clue on how to fight poverty.

To make up for that, let me say that the Democrats have no finer figure than Bill Richardson - practical, competent, knowledgeable in both economics and foreign affairs, and hispanic :smile:

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    No smears please.

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nicely done, 1 reply and its already off topic

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5
    sorry :redface:

7. Oct 14, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Giuliani - During his tenure, the city of New York went from being a crime-ridden, decaying city to a cleaned-up, business-friendly, safe place with high property values and much lowered crime rates. His handling of 9/11 was superb.

8. Oct 14, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well some positive things about Jeb Bush include.....

uhm....

ok give me some time guys....

9. Oct 14, 2005 #8
    He's my pick for next president (with Condi as VP), but he'd have to wrestle the GOP out of the religious peoples' hands first. If he gets the nomination, he's in.

10. Oct 14, 2005 #9

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Lets just go with Condi for the #1 spot.

11. Oct 14, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wanna see Rice vs. Clinton

Man that would really screw up the whole womens rights movement. You got an entire presidential election dedicated to women, what else do you want :P

12. Oct 14, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I wanna see Rice vs. Clinton

Man that would really screw up the whole womens rights movement. You got an entire presidential election dedicated to women, what else do you want :P

13. Oct 14, 2005 #12
    I think this would REALLY be an interesting election. Two educated candidates, who both has to know how low campaigns usually get and who are capable of thinking for themselves, would they have any interest in pulling up the standard?

14. Oct 14, 2005 #13
    Rice? I thought we were keeping this thread positive?

15. Oct 14, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

no.

There women :rolleyes:

16. Oct 14, 2005 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

John McCain. After the Clinton and Bush presidencies, we need a president that can actually get Republicans and Democrats working together.

McCain and Leiberman doused Frist's and Reid's big fight over the "Nuclear/Constitutional Option". McCain was able to get the 'anti-torture' amendment added to the Defense spending bill and approved 90-6 (or somewhere thereabouts) - a pretty significant defection of Republicans away from Bush towards McCain. (Had Frist and Reid gotten their big fight, I would have rated their performance right alongside Clinton and Dole bringing the government to a halt just to set up their '96 campaigns).

Giuliani would rank up there pretty high as well. The reputation he earned by the way he handled New York City after 9/11 would make him someone everyone could unite around as well. While I'd prefer McCain, a very moderate Republican with Giuliani's reputation might be just what the country needs to turn politics from a battleground into a functioning process.

Among Democrats, I'd put Leiberman up there as well as one of the very few Democrats that might be able to get both Republican and Democratic support. Unfortunately, while he would probably do a good job as president, he doesn't have the charisma necessary to make being elected very likely.

17. Oct 14, 2005 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, if one of the Bush kids had to become president, Jeb Bush was the better choice. He at least earned the position he holds with a career a lot more complete than George's. Overall, I'd rate him as a solid, even above average governor, which would at least get him by a reality check even if his name weren't Bush.

I wouldn't rate him a top choice, but I would have accepted him a lot easier than having the family loser put into office.

18. Oct 14, 2005 #17
    Wesley Clark.
    Time was on our side, and Bush squandered it. Now we are running out of time.

19. Oct 14, 2005 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Um....did you accidentally post that in the wrong thread, Skyhunter?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of McCain because he is not afraid to stand up for what he believes regardless of which party doctrine it falls into.

Rice impresses me, but I don't have anything specific.

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19
    It was his testimony before the Iraq invasion that demonstrated to me that he understood the problem. That is why I supported him in the 2004 primary. I still believe he is the best person to lead this country.

I like McCain, but when he supported Bush in 2004 after the way Bush/Rove smeared his family in 2000 I lost my respect for him.

21. Oct 14, 2005 #20

cronxeh

Gold Member

We need someone with the intelligence and wisdom and I think if John Stewart ran, I'd at least listen to what his plans were.

On the other hand I dont want any of the congressmen running for the President. The partisan candidates have got to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?