1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SO LOST! redox reactions

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    hey guys! i am lost with my current unit...redox reactions. i was wondering if any chem whizzes could lead me in the right direction as how to write the oxidation and reduction equations for the following reaction:

IO-3 (aq) + I- (aq)--> I2 (aq)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I still have no idea why i took AP chem...:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First of all the equation isn't complete. What happened to the oxygen atom? In general you should first determine the oxidation state of each element in the reaction, there are rules which can be applied to help you do this, can you remember them?

~H

4. May 7, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hoot : The problem requires you to complete the equation.

jen : There must be examples in your text showing you exactly how to go about this process.

Here's another detailed example : http://www.mpcfaculty.net/mark_bishop/redox_balance_half_acid_example.htm

This counts as coursework, and hence must follow the relevant posting rules.

5. May 7, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oo right, makes sense now.

~H

6. May 7, 2006 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?