So many charities to choose from

• Thread starter 2CentsWorth
  • Start date
In summary, the Presidential Prayer Team, which aims to encourage daily prayers for the president, has faced financial struggles in keeping people motivated to participate. This has resulted in a large amount of debt for the charity. The conversation then shifts to discussing what Jesus would donate to and his views on wealth and excess.
2CentsWorth
Just saw this in the local paper:
Getting people to pray apparently takes a lot of money
Jul. 4, 2005 12:00 AM

The Presidential Prayer Team began with a simple idea: Encourage people to pray for the president daily. In the aftermath of the terrorist attacks of 2001, it was an appealing plea.

...But operating the charity has not been so easy. John Lind, its president, said the challenge is to keep people motivated to pray daily. And sustaining that energy costs money. Lots of it.

...Financial records show the Presidential Prayer Team has been deeply in debt since its inception. Currently, it's in the hole by $531,891
Hmm. What would Christ donate to? Helping the sick, poor, and outcast perhaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
2CentsWorth said:
Just saw this in the local paper:
Hmm. What would Christ donate to? Helping the sick, poor, and outcast perhaps?
Jesus had a problem with money and excess wealth. He was definitely anti-materialist.

He would not donate wealth. He would however, expect those with wealth to donate to those who had not.

Otherwise, he would do the work himself, which is precisely what he did and advocated his followers do.

I make these statements based on MY interpretation of passages in the New Testament.

Last edited:
Since Evo's not around I'm going to make the call that this is a religious discussion not appropriate for the forum.

1. What should I consider when choosing which charity to donate to?

When choosing a charity, it's important to research the organization's mission, impact, and financial transparency. Consider what causes are most important to you and make sure the charity aligns with your values and beliefs. You can also look into the charity's financial statements and ratings from independent organizations to ensure your donation will be used effectively.

2. How do I know if a charity is legitimate?

There are a few ways to determine if a charity is legitimate. First, make sure the organization is registered as a nonprofit with the IRS. You can also check if they are accredited by independent charity evaluators such as Charity Navigator or GuideStar. Additionally, look for transparency and accountability in their financial statements and programs.

3. Is it better to donate to a large, well-known charity or a small, local one?

Both large and small charities have their advantages. Larger charities may have more resources and a wider reach, but smaller charities may have a more personal and direct impact on the communities they serve. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and which organization aligns with your values and goals.

4. How much of my donation actually goes towards the cause?

This varies depending on the charity. It's important to research the organization's financial statements to see how much of their budget is allocated towards programs and services versus administrative and fundraising costs. A good benchmark is for at least 70% of their budget to go towards the cause.

5. Can I volunteer in addition to donating to a charity?

Yes, many charities offer volunteer opportunities in addition to accepting donations. Volunteering can be a great way to get involved and support a cause you care about. You can also reach out to the charity directly to see if they have any specific volunteer needs or events coming up.