Which Math Courses Should I Prioritize for Graduate School Applications?

In summary, the speaker is entering their junior year of college and has completed several advanced mathematics courses, but has not taken the two year-long courses required for the GRE. They are facing a dilemma between taking those courses or taking other courses like Graph Theory and Quantum Computing, which would be beneficial for their research project. They are seeking advice on what would look best when applying to graduate school.
i1100
Hi everyone,

I'm entering my junior year of college in the fall. So far I've really pushed through the mathematics course selection, finishing off the calculus sequence, linear algebra and advanced linear algebra, number theory, differential geometry, computational complexity, and logic. The problem is that I have not taken the two big year long courses, Real Analysis and Algebra. I am currently signed up for both in the fall to prepare me for the GRE which I will be taking at the end of the academic year. My dilemma is that at the same time, both Graph Theory and a graduate course on Quantum Computing are being offered. I don't want to miss out on taking graph theory as it will not be offered again before I graduate, and I'm being encouraged to take the quantum computing course to help direct my research project (I'll be researching over the summer).

So you see my predicament. Does anyone have any advice on what I should take/what would look best when applying to graduate school? Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are planning on going to graduate school, then settle down for a postponement of Graph Theory until then. Or even better, check out two books on graph theory and teach yourself from them! But do not prolong on taking Real Analysis as that course is essential, and it is better you take it now.

1. What are some examples of mathematics choices?

Some examples of mathematics choices include algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and number theory.

2. Why are there so many mathematics choices?

Mathematics is a vast and diverse field, with many different branches and subfields. This allows for a wide range of choices and specializations to cater to different interests and career paths.

3. How do I know which mathematics choice is right for me?

The best way to determine which mathematics choice is right for you is to explore your interests and strengths. Try out different branches of mathematics and see which ones you enjoy and excel at the most. You can also speak with a math teacher or advisor for guidance.

4. Are all mathematics choices equally important?

While all mathematics choices are important in their own way, some may be more relevant or applicable to certain fields or industries. For example, calculus and statistics are commonly used in engineering and data analysis, while number theory may be more relevant in cryptography and computer science.

5. Can I change my mathematics choice later on?

Yes, you can change your mathematics choice later on. Many students may start with a general mathematics course and then narrow down their focus as they progress through their education. It is also common for individuals to switch their mathematics choice as they discover new interests and career goals.