Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So Mean

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    Why dont the journals give full texts to students ??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2004 #2
    Your university *should* give you access to most of them for free... at my uni, we can access e-journals via a special proxy address.

4. Apr 18, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not always the case. Universities have to pay exhorbitant amounts for institutional subscriptions to journals, so poorer universities need to limit the number of journals with online access. Well, it's not really that exhorbitant when you consider the number of users, but it is a large expense nonetheless. Some universities combine their efforts and share resources so you can get an article copied from the holdings of one of their partner institutions for just the cost of copying, or sometimes free if it's a short enough article.

However, I see that Karthik is posting from India. I know that's one country I still get "reprint request" cards from, so their universities likely can't afford the variety of journal subscriptions available to us in the West. Karthik, if there is a particular journal you use often, it's often cheapest to join the society that publishes it as a student member. Those membership fees are usually about the same as the cost of one or two articles purchased individually, gives you full access to the journal, and gets you involved in a society that focuses on your area of interest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?