Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So much to learn, So little time!

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    So much to learn, so little time! Don't you just feel the same? I mean, just LOOK at all the stuff on this forum! :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2
    one thing at a time

4. Mar 20, 2014 #3
    Yeah, there's so much I want to do. I have gigabytes worth of ebooks that I'd like to read, but just don't have the time. If I read all the history books I have, I could probably become a history professor. I'd like to learn some new languages, but that's really time consuming also.
    Actually, I have plenty of time to do these things, just not enough motivation.

5. Mar 20, 2014 #4
    lendav_rott is right. Don't look too far ahead. Focus on learning what is in front of you. After awhile you'll be surprised how much you've built up.

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5
    I get the same feeling any time I walk through a library. Stacks upon stacks of knowledge and all I'm ever going to have time to read in my life time is a maybe one measly rack.

7. Mar 22, 2014 #6
    And how much of that rack will you retain in your head? Not much.

8. Mar 22, 2014 #7
    There are so many things to study out there that I don't even know where to start.
    The problem with the sea of information on the internet is that it is hard to relax and choose one thing to read. You wanna read everyting at the same time and you end up reading nothing

cb

9. Mar 22, 2014 #8
    I just stare at stuff until it makes sense :smile:

10. Mar 22, 2014 #9
    Trust me, that doesn't work. You aren't actually learning or understand things that way. You just think you know because that is psychologically satisfying for your brain. I say that from experience.I used to leave youtube videos about science playing in the background while I did other stuff, so I would learn not in a conscious way.

cb

11. Mar 22, 2014 #10
    I don't know, I'd imagine it depends on what you want to learn. I've used it to figure out topics varying from congestive heart failure symptoms to cyclohexane chair flips to deriving the general solution for second order homogenous differential equations with complex roots.

Each of those particular details of a topic I can teach cold.

12. Mar 23, 2014 #11
    I still say it is better to study these topics better, rather than just staring at the text. However, gazing at the texts is better than nothing

cb

13. Mar 23, 2014 #12
    Well, I certainly can't argue with that logic! :smile:

14. Mar 25, 2014 #13
    Well, I remember when I was cramming away at Grade 1 stuff, now I'm on Grade 11!
    Wow, Thanks for the new perspective!
    D'ye hear that lambda90? Just borrow 2 books a week and in 1 year, you'll have been through 730 books.... think of that!:biggrin:

15. Mar 25, 2014 #14
    OOH that's frustrating!
    I just did a first aid course by Red Cross a few days ago.
    Oh wow, that really must crack your head!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook