Physics Undergrad Struggles to Retain Knowledge

• Thread starter LyleJr
  • Start date
In summary, I found the course to be difficult but I am grateful for the wealth of material I have learned. I am afraid that I will not be able to retain all of it, but I am going to try my best.
LyleJr
I am a Physics undergrad with 3 semesters left. I just finished my first QM course this past Spring and did very well and enjoyed the class greatly, but I find that information is already starting to slip away from my memory banks, as it were. It's so much to take in and to be honest, we only covered the first 4 chapters of our textbook (Griffiths).

I know repetition is my best friend when it comes to retaining knowledge, but it is a bit daunting especially considering I want to continue on to grad school in a theoretical research field. I have this fear of getting accepted into a program and then making a fool of myself because I have forgotten so much.

No real question here, just venting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the same material from different sources and relate what you read in a new source to what you have seen already in the previous ones. This helps to create connections that are not so easily forgotten.

Likes berkeman, Demystifier and LyleJr
A. Neumaier said:
Read the same material from different sources and relate what you read in a new source to what you have seen already in the previous ones. This helps to create connections that are not so easily forgotten.

Thanks! I have been doing something similar, at least with QM, by supplementing my reading with lecture videos from MIT. It really does help.

Or just hang out in sites that discuss QM questions and have a QA format and just reading the posts alone should help keep them fresh.

Likes LyleJr
Did it emphasize the differential equations or the algebra? If the former, have a look at Dirac's book and see how the algebra leads to the calculus.

Hendrik Boom said:
Did it emphasize the differential equations or the algebra? If the former, have a look at Dirac's book and see how the algebra leads to the calculus.

I think it did a decent job at both. The entirety of Chapter 3 was spent formalizing the material within Linear Algebra, but again we only did Chapters 1-4 which was just less than half the book.

What causes a physics undergrad to struggle to retain knowledge?

There are a few potential factors that could contribute to a physics undergrad struggling to retain knowledge. These could include a heavy course load, difficulty understanding complex concepts, and inadequate study habits.

How can a physics undergrad improve their retention of knowledge?

There are a few strategies that could help a physics undergrad retain knowledge more effectively. These could include regularly reviewing material, actively engaging with concepts through practice problems, seeking help from professors or tutors, and finding study techniques that work best for them.

Is it normal for a physics undergrad to struggle with retaining knowledge?

Yes, it is common for physics undergrads to struggle with retaining knowledge. Physics is a complex and challenging subject, and it is normal to face difficulties in understanding and retaining concepts. However, with dedication and effort, it is possible to improve one's retention of knowledge.

What resources are available to help a physics undergrad struggling to retain knowledge?

There are many resources available to help a physics undergrad struggling to retain knowledge. These could include study groups, tutoring services, office hours with professors, online resources, and study guides or textbooks specifically designed for physics students.

Are there any study techniques that are particularly effective for retaining physics knowledge?

Different study techniques work for different people, but some strategies that may be effective for retaining physics knowledge include practicing with problem sets, creating concept maps or diagrams, teaching the material to someone else, and using memory aids such as flashcards or mnemonic devices.