Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So much to say

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I end up writing a LOT when trying to prove stuff. I can go through a legal pad in a week for one class -- and the writing is just scratchwork, so it's all trash. That is too wasteful for me, so I got a paper-sized whiteboard, but I am finding that I need a bigger one. How big should I go? Should I just get another small one? Is there some PC program that's as flexible as pen and paper? Has anyone tried one of those digital writing pads? I don't think I want my pen and paper to need a power source other than me, and I might still want more (continuous) space. Should I just mount a big whiiteboard on my wall? Has anyone found a good solution to a similar problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Might consider dry-erase paint for the walls. It's like $100 a gallon though.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, because I don't seem crazy enough already, I need writing all over my walls too.

Actually, that does sound pretty cool, but I live in an apartment, and I think I need approval to paint the walls, so it might not work or be worthwhile. Noted, though.

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

DavidSnider

Gold Member

They also have a few digital notepads out. They are like $200-$400 for good ones.

Though, i'm not positive that these would have any environmental advantage over using lots of paper though. Most paper comes from tree farms these days anyway.

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    I have the same problem. The local university library recycles the cover sheets left over from when people use the printers, so I just grab a stack of those once in a while. They are blank on one side, and the other side is lined with the names of the files printed--still plenty o' white space for writing. I also hang around until there is an empty study room and use the chalk board. I like the feeling of having a chalk board/whiteboard all to myself. Maybe you should get one for your apartment. I would really like to have one of those glass dry erase boards. They look cool.

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6
    Definitely get a bigger white board, mount it on your wall and pace back and forth like a genius. But don't buy a real white board, google 'cheap whiteboard' and you'll find lots of people using tile board and other whiteboard-like materials.

e.g.
    http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000679.php
    http://chrismetcalf.net/blog/archives/2007/06/16/how-to-dirt-cheap-wall-sized-whiteboards/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Sep 20, 2009 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

This is totally the winner. Thanks. :biggrin: When I get my drafting table, I should give it a whiteboard top too. I'll be unstoppable!

Maybe I'll post pictures when it's done.

9. Sep 20, 2009 #8
    I have a suggestion too ^.^ Windows work as good substitute white boards. I find that during the day they can be a strain on the eyes, but if it isn't too bright outside they can really be useful.

Google is nice, but I've also found some really cheep white boards on Craigs List. I think my friend bought her's there for 5 or 10$. It's as large as the ones found in most class rooms.

Sweet. =) I'm looking forward to seeing your white-board crazyness.

10. Sep 21, 2009 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Legal pads. That brings back memories. Shoot, I would go through one legal pad in a couple of days doing EM problems. I don't think whiteboards are the way.

11. Sep 21, 2009 #10
    Scratchwork is part of the learning process so you have to waste paper. You can get more sheets per dollar on a stack of printer paper, than on any sort of binded notebooks.

12. Sep 21, 2009 #11

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Least expensive option is a whiteboard or blackboard.

I have a tablet PC, which works pretty well, except it requires power and it generates heat. Whenever I have to use traditional paper for working things out, I do go through it extremely quickly...if I used only paper and nothing else, I'd probably also go through a whole pad of paper in a few days.

On the tablet PC, though, I can just start as many new pages as I like (in OneNote), try to keep them organized, and the computer saves everything automatically. I probably have around 800 pages of stuff on there...should probably go through sometime and delete the useless things.

13. Sep 21, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if they still have them, but about a year ago, Michael's (the craft store) had poster boards with a plastic coating on them that was a VERY cheap alternative to whiteboards...only a couple bucks each. I picked up several, and they've been lasting pretty well. All you need to mount them are a couple thumbtacks. They're ideal for apartments where you don't want to drill holes in the walls to mount a larger board with screws.

14. Sep 23, 2009 #13
    Would this help?

http://webshop.rvspartyverhuur.nl/images/flipover.jpg [Broken]

15. Sep 23, 2009 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You won't like it. You'll have to be standing the whole time to write on them. Trust me you'll hate it afterwhile.

Just buy the small paper sized white boards. Buy like two of them, and buy the fine point dry eraser markers, and there you go.

Problem solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook