Exploring the Dynamics of Attraction & Connection

In summary, the person is not ready to be in a relationship yet because they are too focused on the chase and not enough on the relationship. They are also not old and may still change in the future.
Mépris
It's been a while since I've met a girl I'm actually very attracted to and feel some kind of connection with, on a personal level. This is largely due to me not being out much and even more due to me not making the effort to try connecting at some level with the person in question. Why? At some point, I noticed that I found "running the race" to be much more fun than going through the finish line.

Now, if we're dealing with video games or an actual race, it'd be okay but with people instead of that in the equation, things get a little complicated. And, in the past, when I have reached that point where all I got to do is walk the next step and I'm in (if you get my jist...), I turned my back and walked away. There's this voice in my head which goes "Okay, cool story bro. Now what?". The thought of going on more dates, talking about random things, listening to her whine about her gossip girl-like garbage, hold her hand and what not makes me cringe. In my experience, once the phase where both parties are trying to "win each other" comes to an end, the whole spark is lost and what used to be fun just ends up being tiring.

There's also another thing I've noticed: if the girl makes it too easy, I'll get bored quicker. If she's way hard to get, suddenly, I'm more interested. What does this say? Does this mean I'm just not into the person as much as I'm into the "thrill" of that "winning her" phase? With all of the above in mind, I decided it would best if I just left things as they were and focused on other things, while I try to figure this out on the side. Maybe this will change as I grow older. On that note, getting insight from you guys, who happen to be older than I am, is one of the reasons I made the the thread. I could do with some perspective on this, I think.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Time to go to the next level, another girl? :devil:

P.S. I am not old.

You think too much.

rootX said:
Time to go to the next level, another girl? :devil:

P.S. I am not old.

Okay, maybe not! But still, it's a new perspective to this er, thing...

MarcoD said:
You think too much.

Maybe. It's how I am though. I like thinking. It's what I do...

This sounds like an ego thing. You are interested in the chase because it's a challenge and you are a competitive type. But the catching requires you to start thinking about someone's else's feelings rather that your own. Which you may not be ready to do.

OK, so you're not ready to share yourself with another person yet. You're young. There's time. And a time will come when you don't always feel the need to prove yourself.

well if you really want something, becareful, you might turn into her gay friend

1. What is the science behind attraction?

Attraction is a complex psychological and physiological process that involves a combination of physical, emotional, and social factors. It is influenced by genetics, hormones, cultural norms, and personal experiences. Researchers have identified several theories, such as the similarity-attraction theory and the proximity principle, to explain how and why people are attracted to others.

2. Is attraction purely based on physical appearance?

No, while physical appearance can be an initial factor in attraction, it is not the sole determinant. Personality, shared interests, and emotional connections also play a significant role in fostering attraction and building meaningful relationships. In fact, studies have shown that people are often attracted to those who exhibit similar values, beliefs, and attitudes rather than solely focusing on physical appearance.

3. Can attraction change over time?

Yes, attraction is not a fixed concept and can change over time. People can become more or less attracted to others as they get to know them better. Additionally, external factors such as life events and personal growth can also influence attraction. What may have initially sparked attraction may not be the same thing that maintains it in the long run.

4. How do different types of relationships affect attraction?

The type of relationship can greatly impact the dynamics of attraction. In romantic relationships, there is typically a strong physical and emotional attraction between partners. In friendships, attraction may be more based on shared interests and a sense of companionship. In familial relationships, attraction may be rooted in a sense of obligation and familial ties. Each type of relationship has its own unique factors that influence attraction and connection.

5. Can attraction be controlled or manipulated?

While people can certainly try to control or manipulate attraction, it is ultimately a natural and complex process that cannot be forced. Attraction is a two-way street, and both parties must be genuinely interested and invested in each other for it to thrive. Trying to control or manipulate attraction can often lead to unhealthy and unsustainable relationships.