Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So, since this a physics forum, i figured most of you guys are nerds,

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    so, since this a physics forum, i figured most of you guys are nerds, dont have much social lives, but have successful careers, which I desire. For those of you who struggled during your school years, how did your relations with women fare after college?

im sure most of you adults have married and found wives. where did you meet them? are attractive women more likely to date us after college than during school as they have matured, or they like money?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2
    Re: females...

HAHAHA the idea of a physicist with enough money to be liked for makes me laugh.

Girls don't date physicists when they're older because the girls have matured; they date physicists after college because the physicists have matured. Truth hurts.

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

ok, maybe not physicsists for the moeny, but what about engineers with their money?

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How old are you?

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

Nice to think you have such a high opinion of women. No wonder you're a ladies' man.

No. You will probably not ever get a girl to date you on an engineering or science salary. If they like money THAT much, guess where they'll go? Lawyers, doctors, businessmen.

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6

:rofl: Just because you are a nerd with no social life does not mean we fall into your rut. I'd say you're at most 18 years old, but in terms of maturity more like 13.

8. Dec 13, 2008 #7

:rolleyes: Stereotypes. Median income for Phd physicists is around $100k per year. Not eye-popping, but nothing to scoff at either.

As for the comment about physicists and dating, my own anecdotal evidence from my undergrad department contradicts this pretty strongly. Stereotypes are for the intellectually lazy (I recall making this same statement on the same stereotype yesterday...).

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8

My undergrad department is half full of wonderful boys who are charming and well-adjusted and half full of creepy, immature mouth-breathers. Perhaps it's unfair to make the stereotype, but the sort of physics students who bemoan why the 'superficial girls' won't date them often are the ones who are immature and awkward ones.

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9

It has nothing to do with women maturing. Don't try blaming being bad with women, on the women!

11. Dec 13, 2008 #10

It's not a question of fairness. The universal urge to stereotype is a manifestation of the human impulse to categorize things. Categorizing is a valuable adaptive function because it allows to minimize the number of objects we need to remember and to make quick judgements about whether those objects are good or bad. As an example, there is the monkeysphere theory of personal relations. The idea is that primate social group size is strongly correlated to brain size. Extrapolating this to human brains gives a natural group size of around 150--the number of individuals a human being can normally distinguish and keep track of as individuals. Stereotyping is a way to easily and quickly deal with larger numbers of people or objects.

It's lazy to stereotype. It's lazy because we can do better by noting the distinct features of individuals. We are capable of doing better, it just takes more effort.

This I agree with.

Can I blame the fact that they are usually boring and dull(not that this is unique to women, but with men I don't care if they are boring because I have no ulterior motive) on them?

12. Dec 13, 2008 #11

It usually is. If you have a problems getting dates with all women or with a good portion of them, then it's probably something you're doing (unless you're very picky). Unless you're in the camp "boohoo, no girls like me because I'm a nerdy physics major!", in which case I have nothing to say. Majors don't dictate your love life ;P

13. Dec 13, 2008 #12

mobiusdafrost

I sent you a PM response to this topic to avoid chaos like ^^^.

ttyl.

14. Dec 13, 2008 #13

You misunderstand me. I don't date much because the frequency with which I meet someone interesting enough that I want to actually spend time with them is so low (one or two people a year). I tend to ignore the existence of people who haven't shown themselves to be interesting. Most of my relationships are with women who I know for sometime without ever paying any attention to them until one day I hear them say something interesting. Then they exist suddenly. I found out this way that one girl I had been acquainted with for 3 years was a UCLA psychobio pre-med major, another one was a UC Berkley physics major. Had no idea until I overheard them at a random social event. People just bore me normally.

15. Dec 13, 2008 #14

chiro

Science Advisor

oh my lol

16. Dec 13, 2008 #15

Quote of the day right there. haha. I like it.

17. Dec 13, 2008 #16

How can you take yourself seriously... hahaha. let's see part of that again.

hahaha.

I rest my case.

Good night everyone.

18. Dec 13, 2008 #17

I don't think I've ever been accused of taking myself seriously before. I think I'm insulted.

19. Dec 13, 2008 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What case are you talking about? You haven't presented anything!

20. Dec 13, 2008 #19

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't talk for everyone, but I'd hazard a guess that you're way off the mark here.
    Ok, this just tells me you're pretty young.. being an adult doesn't require marriage or vice versa!
    Who is the 'us' in your statement? Previously you were labelling 'us' as nerds: are you now pigeon-holeing yourself in this group?

21. Dec 13, 2008 #20

Did someone edit their post?? I think so.. tsk tsk.

First off, I'm just here to kill some time, stereotype people, laugh a little, enjoy life, etc.. that's the way it goes.

I turned 159.25 last week. That's how old I am in.. dog years. Do the math. Have a cookie.

Second.. yeah, I really don't have a second. Good night.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?