So, since this a physics forum, i figured most of you guys are nerds,

In summary: Unless you're in the camp "boohoo, no girls like me because I'm a nerdy physics major!", in which case I have nothing to say. Majors don't dictate your love life...:rolleyes: Majors don't dictate your love life, but they do influence your job prospects. If you want a successful relationship, you'll have to do more than major in physics.In summary, most physicists have successful relationships after college. Girls don't date physicists when they're older because the girls have matured; they date physicists after college because the physicists have matured. Truth hurts. Although not always easy, a good relationship with a woman can be achieved with enough effort.
mobiusdafrost
so, since this a physics forum, i figured most of you guys are nerds, don't have much social lives, but have successful careers, which I desire. For those of you who struggled during your school years, how did your relations with women fare after college?

im sure most of you adults have married and found wives. where did you meet them? are attractive women more likely to date us after college than during school as they have matured, or they like money?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

HAHAHA the idea of a physicist with enough money to be liked for makes me laugh.

Girls don't date physicists when they're older because the girls have matured; they date physicists after college because the physicists have matured. Truth hurts.

ok, maybe not physicsists for the moeny, but what about engineers with their money?

How old are you?

Nice to think you have such a high opinion of women. No wonder you're a ladies' man.

No. You will probably not ever get a girl to date you on an engineering or science salary. If they like money THAT much, guess where they'll go? Lawyers, doctors, businessmen.

mobiusdafrost said:
so, since this a physics forum, i figured most of you guys are nerds, don't have much social lives, but have successful careers, which I desire. For those of you who struggled during your school years, how did your relations with women fare after college?

im sure most of you adults have married and found wives. where did you meet them? are attractive women more likely to date us after college than during school as they have matured, or they like money?

also, the only thing i think about besides math and physics, is sex

:rofl: Just because you are a nerd with no social life does not mean we fall into your rut. I'd say you're at most 18 years old, but in terms of maturity more like 13.

MissSilvy said:
HAHAHA the idea of a physicist with enough money to be liked for makes me laugh.

Girls don't date physicists when they're older because the girls have matured; they date physicists after college because the physicists have matured. Truth hurts.

:rolleyes: Stereotypes. Median income for Phd physicists is around $100k per year. Not eye-popping, but nothing to scoff at either.

As for the comment about physicists and dating, my own anecdotal evidence from my undergrad department contradicts this pretty strongly. Stereotypes are for the intellectually lazy (I recall making this same statement on the same stereotype yesterday...).

My undergrad department is half full of wonderful boys who are charming and well-adjusted and half full of creepy, immature mouth-breathers. Perhaps it's unfair to make the stereotype, but the sort of physics students who bemoan why the 'superficial girls' won't date them often are the ones who are immature and awkward ones.

It has nothing to do with women maturing. Don't try blaming being bad with women, on the women!

MissSilvy said:
My undergrad department is half full of wonderful boys who are charming and well-adjusted and half full of creepy, immature mouth-breathers. Perhaps it's unfair to make the stereotype,

It's not a question of fairness. The universal urge to stereotype is a manifestation of the human impulse to categorize things. Categorizing is a valuable adaptive function because it allows to minimize the number of objects we need to remember and to make quick judgements about whether those objects are good or bad. As an example, there is the monkeysphere theory of personal relations. The idea is that primate social group size is strongly correlated to brain size. Extrapolating this to human brains gives a natural group size of around 150--the number of individuals a human being can normally distinguish and keep track of as individuals. Stereotyping is a way to easily and quickly deal with larger numbers of people or objects.

It's lazy to stereotype. It's lazy because we can do better by noting the distinct features of individuals. We are capable of doing better, it just takes more effort.

but the sort of physics students who bemoan why the 'superficial girls' won't date them often are the ones who are immature and awkward ones.
This I agree with.

moose said:
It has nothing to do with women maturing. Don't try blaming being bad with women, on the women!

Can I blame the fact that they are usually boring and dull(not that this is unique to women, but with men I don't care if they are boring because I have no ulterior motive) on them?

It usually is. If you have a problems getting dates with all women or with a good portion of them, then it's probably something you're doing (unless you're very picky). Unless you're in the camp "boohoo, no girls like me because I'm a nerdy physics major!", in which case I have nothing to say. Majors don't dictate your love life ;P

mobiusdafrost

I sent you a PM response to this topic to avoid chaos like ^^^.

ttyl.

MissSilvy said:
It usually is. If you have a problems getting dates with all women or with a good portion of them, then it's probably something you're doing (unless you're very picky). Unless you're in the camp "boohoo, no girls like me because I'm a nerdy physics major!", in which case I have nothing to say. Majors don't dictate your love life ;P

You misunderstand me. I don't date much because the frequency with which I meet someone interesting enough that I want to actually spend time with them is so low (one or two people a year). I tend to ignore the existence of people who haven't shown themselves to be interesting. Most of my relationships are with women who I know for sometime without ever paying any attention to them until one day I hear them say something interesting. Then they exist suddenly. I found out this way that one girl I had been acquainted with for 3 years was a UCLA psychobio pre-med major, another one was a UC Berkley physics major. Had no idea until I overheard them at a random social event. People just bore me normally.

mobiusdafrost said:
ok, maybe not physicsists for the moeny, but what about engineers with their money?

oh my lol

MissSilvy said:
Majors don't dictate your love life ;P

Quote of the day right there. haha. I like it.

franznietzsche said:
You misunderstand me. I don't date much because the frequency with which I meet someone interesting enough that I want to actually spend time with them is so low (one or two people a year). I tend to ignore the existence of people who haven't shown themselves to be interesting. Most of my relationships are with women who I know for sometime without ever paying any attention to them until one day I hear them say something interesting. Then they exist suddenly. I found out this way that one girl I had been acquainted with for 3 years was a UCLA psychobio pre-med major, another one was a UC Berkley physics major. Had no idea until I overheard them at a random social event. People just bore me normally.

How can you take yourself seriously... hahaha. let's see part of that again.

franznietzsche said:
People just bore me normally.

hahaha.

franznietzsche said:
Most of my relationships are with women who I know for sometime without ever paying any attention to them until one day I hear them say something interesting. Then they exist suddenly. I found out this way that one girl I had been acquainted with for 3 years was a UCLA psychobio pre-med major, another one was a UC Berkley physics major.

I rest my case.

Good night everyone.

mikeknick04 said:
How can you take yourself seriously... hahaha. let's see part of that again.

hahaha.

I rest my case.

Good night everyone.

I don't think I've ever been accused of taking myself seriously before. I think I'm insulted.

mikeknick04 said:
I rest my case.

What case are you talking about? You haven't presented anything!

mobiusdafrost said:
so, since this a physics forum, i figured most of you guys are nerds, don't have much social lives, but have successful careers, which I desire.
I can't talk for everyone, but I'd hazard a guess that you're way off the mark here.
im sure most of you adults have married and found wives. where did you meet them?
Ok, this just tells me you're pretty young.. being an adult doesn't require marriage or vice versa!
are attractive women more likely to date us after college than during school as they have matured, or they like money?
Who is the 'us' in your statement? Previously you were labelling 'us' as nerds: are you now pigeon-holeing yourself in this group?

Did someone edit their post?? I think so.. tsk tsk.

First off, I'm just here to kill some time, stereotype people, laugh a little, enjoy life, etc.. that's the way it goes.

I turned 159.25 last week. That's how old I am in.. dog years. Do the math. Have a cookie.

Second.. yeah, I really don't have a second. Good night.

mikeknick04 said:
First off, I'm just here to kill some time, stereotype people, laugh a little, enjoy life, etc.. that's the way it goes.

I'd watch yourself, if I were you. I'm not sure the longevity of someone who comes to a forum solely to make fun of the regular members is very high.

franznietzsche said:
You misunderstand me...

I was actually responding to moose's post in this discussion. Sorry for the mix-up!

And remember to be civil, guys. I'm off to bed. Have fun discussing !

cristo said:
I'd watch yourself, if I were you. I'm not sure the longevity of someone who comes to a forum solely to make fun of the regular members is very high.

nothing says "winner at life" more than joining an internet forum for the sole purpose of poking fun at its members.

great job!
http://www.selectmediafestival.org/2006/oct21.jpgbeing good or bad with women has nothing to do with being good or bad with physics. I don't think it's fair to make fun of someone who suffers from social anxiety or anything that prevents them from leading a fulfilling a social life. I make jokes here and there, but I understand the suffering of someone like this is real and is not funny... but I don't understand what drives people to think that the answer to this problem lies in a physics forum? people actually join just to ask an "I like this girl but she thinks I'm weird because I throw up every time she talks to me" type question, and I don't get this.

If anything, by assuming that being terrible with women is a normal aspect of being mathematically inclined, you're just stereotyping yourself and giving yourself permission to do nothing to fix this problem. I can only assume these people join for the purpose of confirming this self-image.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissSilvy said:
And remember to be civil, guys. I'm off to bed. Have fun discussing !

I agree. Here here! The word of reason... seriously no joke. MissSilvy is easily my favorite person in this place.

And on random thought.. I feel like... idk.. I'm being followed.. or maybe you guys are everywhere.. haha.

Seriously though, it's 5am here.. where are all you guys from that you can post this late/early?

While I don't think you can stereotype people like this, the guy does have a point. I've known girls to say that they would never date and engineer solely for the reason that they are engineers. Kind of reminds me of this old joke;

Q: What do engineers use for birth control?

A: Their personalities.

Topher925 said:
Q: What do engineers use for birth control?

A: Their personalities.

I fell off my chair laughing:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:! Half the guys in my class use that method :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!

ok, maybe i came off as a bit too harsh in my OP...

my intention was to know how your relations with women improved after college IF you struggled with them during and before college. If so, I was just curious if going into a technical field such as physics, engineering, etc had any impact or not, that is, whether women found you more or less attractive because of it

I'm asking a serious question here and meant no offense to anyone.

mobiusdafrost said:

HAHAHAHAH

stop watching tv, its ruining your mind.

Math Is Hard said:
How old are you?

hes probably fifteen.

What a stupid thread.

Haha, Cyrus the one reason you'll never be a mod is you'd delete all relationship/lackthereof threads instantaneously

offtheleft said:
HAHAHAHAH

stop watching tv, its ruining your mind.
hes probably fifteen.

Cyrus said:
What a stupid thread.

look whos talking. you guys spend all your free time here...

mobiusdafrost said:

Please go away. At this level of immaturity, you just need to stop posting.

You should be banned from posting here, IMO.

mobiusdafrost said:

yeah, because the ten minutes you catch me posting here takes up all of my free time. i love how you make these highly educated assumptions when in fact you know just about nothing about anyone on here.

in my opinion, you worry about your own female situation. that's something you need to learn on your own, although, it can not be taught. what works for one guy will probably not work for the next. so, do your self the favor and I am sure i speak for many on here. keep your wise comments to your self, please.

binzing said:
Haha, Cyrus the one reason you'll never be a mod is you'd delete all relationship/lackthereof threads instantaneously

this is exactly why he should be a mod :rofl:

mobiusdafrost said:

ugh... we'll we've got the age/maturity question answered.
why would you want girls? they have cooties.

but I got to go now; it's my roommate's birthday party. and there will there will be girls there. OMG. :rolleyes:

moe darklight said:
being good or bad with women has nothing to do with being good or bad with physics.

20081017.gif