Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So that's megaupload down

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    Yep, megaupload has been taken down..
    Who do you guys suppose is next?
    Do you think that megaupload should have been taken down?

What's everyone's opinions on this matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Since almost everything starts with google... Google down might do some damages.
    Well that's sad about megaupload. What do I think? Another website will born to replace megaupload.

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

There are already many alternatives.

What will happen to the subscribers who paid money for faster access (I'm not one of them)?

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4
    Nothing happens to the subscribers with paid accounts I'm affraid, if they payed for one recently it's pretty much just wasted money

There are already many alternitives but what's to stop them going down?
    I personally have used megaupload to send music (that I myself wrote and recorded with free software and hardware that I owned), upload notes so I could download them somewhere else if I didn't have a usb stick handy
    I get that megaupload can be used for piracy but attacking the site over it doesn't seem like the correct thing to do since it does have plenty of legit uses..
    It's a shame those legit uses can just be handwaved away as secondary to piracy.

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jan 19, 2012 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If they are allowing illegal activities, of course they will be shut down. You can't be "half" legal.

8. Jan 19, 2012 #7
    Megaupload was involved in some very serious money laundering schemes and should have been shut down.

9. Jan 19, 2012 #8

wukunlin

Gold Member

omg, i have lots of photo backups on MU :uhh:

10. Jan 19, 2012 #9
    Were they shut down for money laundering or facilitating the pirating of movies and music?

11. Jan 19, 2012 #10
    Depends. If it was for facilitating the pirating of movies and music, then no. I don't consider that a serious enough problem that the DOJ should be spending public resources on it. On the other hand, the people arrested (who control megaupload) might have been involved in more sinister stuff.

12. Jan 19, 2012 #11
    Good riddance that they are gone, I do think they crossed some boundaries. I am a bit concerned that there was some foul play between UMG and the authorities, considering UMG's history with MegaUpload.

IMO it's *way* too easy to pirate things. I think this comes from: a lack of sensible laws regarding e-crime, and a refusal by the major media companies to provide more modern services. The biggest blow to video game piracy to this day has been Steam, and the biggest blow to movie piracy Netflix. It's simply so much more convenient to pirate something than to actually pay for it.

13. Jan 20, 2012 #12

Char. Limit

Gold Member

This. The best way to end piracy is to make it more convenient to buy the product. Let's say you buy a game today. You're very likely to deal with ridiculous DRM or perhaps get to have fun with rootkits getting installed on your computer. It's as you said, Steam is just so easy that people tend to use it. Why risk going to jail when you can spend a few bucks and get the game instantly, downloaded to your computer, and you can use it at any time? Hell, some games are put online, that is, the entire data is online, so that you can access them from any computer. Now that's genius.

As for Megaupload, well, it's one site down. Pirates will find another one, and paying customers are shafted. But hey, I can't say that what they're doing is legal. Arresting them was the right thing to do... assuming that WAS the intent.

14. Jan 20, 2012 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Never heard of megaupload before today.

Interesting.

Personally, I'd have used some of the profits to get a face transplant....

Kim.Schmitz.n.u.no.who.2012.01.19.jpg
    Kim Schmitz, founder of megaupload & u-know-who​

Sorry. I hate Rush Limbaugh. And if you look like him, I will kill you. (the Chantix is STILL wearing off.)

15. Jan 20, 2012 #14
    Yep. The internet makes it so easy, I can't for the life of me understand why more companies aren't making it more convenient to purchase the legitimate product. Downloading pirated stuff is still a bit of a chore, and there's no guarantee of quality.

Also, I am sick to death of watching my DVDs and having to sit through 5 minutes of YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR, YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A PURSE, DOWNLOADING IS STEALING. Hello? I'm watching the DVD, if I downloaded it, I wouldn't have to see this, it's the first thing the pirates remove! Stop harassing paying customers, or pretty soon, I'm just going to stop buying this crap and start downloading a better product!

Make it super easy, make it super cheap, move units in high volume, it's not rocket surgery. Sell a collectors edition hard copy with added value (extras, commentary, t-shirt, whatever).

Why is it so hard to realise that the current business model for media is mired in the past? >.<

Also, you know what I download? Documentaries and really old movies that I can't find on DVD, or I can, but they are region coded or NTSC format and there's only so many hoops I can be bothered jumping through. There's a market for this stuff, realise this, and sell products to me!

16. Jan 20, 2012 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't agree more, those companies have been resisting the revolution of downloading products. By not supplying a demand they've damaged their own products. What if all the "lost money" had been spent in making an infrastructure for legal downloads?

17. Jan 20, 2012 #16
    The long term issue with piracy is that it damages returns to the various entertainment industries (movies, music games). That means too much IP theft eventually leads to not-enough entertainment being produced.

We don't seem to be suffering any kind of lack of entertainment, so it seems unlikely to me that piracy is a tremendous problem. The resources it would take to effectively police information would be astronomical, and almost certainly not worth it.

I'm more concerned that we've gone the other way- our IP/copyright laws are far too restrictive. Pretty much nothing new has entered the public domain in my lifetime, and some things have even been removed.

18. Jan 20, 2012 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I always find it odd that people think that it's okay to steal something just because they don't like the costs and ways something are sold.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's entertainment, not water and bread.

19. Jan 20, 2012 #18
    This hits it right on the nail. I have said this to myself 100 times over. Companies need to learn to adapt to the changing world and not fight against it.

20. Jan 20, 2012 #19

russ_watters

I don't like the car buying process, so I think I'll just steal my next car off the lot. Their fault, not mine.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  21. Jan 20, 2012 #20

russ_watters

What is your criteria for deciding if it serious enough for the DOJ to get into?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook