1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: So, we're playing snooker

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    So, we're playing snooker....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A (uniform) snooker ball of radius r, at rest on a table, is struck by a cue at a point a distance h above the table. Assume the cue tip is travelling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball. As a result, the ball begins to move with an initial linear speed V0 and angular speed w0.

Consider the cue as acting with a large force F for a short time. Ignoring the effects of friction between the ball and the table for this time, find an expression for the ratio V0/w0 in terms of h.

2. Relevant equations

Once I've sussed the question, I can identify which.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I'm confused due to the sentence; "Assume the cue tip is travelling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball". This to me means, that h = r? Therefore, if friction is to be ignored this time, the ball will not (initially) rotate?

If someone could clear this up, I'm sure I can crack on with the next few parts of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: So, we're playing snooker....

I suspect that it's just a sloppily worded problem, and that the 'in a plane through the center of the ball' should be ignored. (Otherwise your interpretation is correct, but then the problem makes little sense.)

(This isn't from some textbook, I hope. If it is, give a reference.)

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

I would assume it means in a vertical plane through the centre of the ball. In other words, you are not putting any side spin on it.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Excellent. That's it.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

Probably, my Mechanics Lecturer isn't the greatest at writing them.

Awesome, I'll try it like that. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook