Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: So, we're playing snooker

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    So, we're playing snooker....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A (uniform) snooker ball of radius r, at rest on a table, is struck by a cue at a point a distance h above the table. Assume the cue tip is travelling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball. As a result, the ball begins to move with an initial linear speed V0 and angular speed w0.

Consider the cue as acting with a large force F for a short time. Ignoring the effects of friction between the ball and the table for this time, find an expression for the ratio V0/w0 in terms of h.

2. Relevant equations

Once I've sussed the question, I can identify which.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I'm confused due to the sentence; "Assume the cue tip is travelling horizontally, in a plane through the centre of the ball". This to me means, that h = r? Therefore, if friction is to be ignored this time, the ball will not (initially) rotate?

If someone could clear this up, I'm sure I can crack on with the next few parts of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: So, we're playing snooker....

I suspect that it's just a sloppily worded problem, and that the 'in a plane through the center of the ball' should be ignored. (Otherwise your interpretation is correct, but then the problem makes little sense.)

(This isn't from some textbook, I hope. If it is, give a reference.)

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

I would assume it means in a vertical plane through the centre of the ball. In other words, you are not putting any side spin on it.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Excellent. That's it.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

Probably, my Mechanics Lecturer isn't the greatest at writing them.

Awesome, I'll try it like that. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook