Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So, what have I been doing?

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

News Update:

A new fundamental particle has made it’s way into the world. Little Benjamin Dolan Chidley (aka “Benji Meson”, distinguished by the presence of the beauty and charmed quarks) was born Friday, February 4, at 7:15 am. The largest known fundamental particle with a rest energy of 2.1 x 10^36 eV.
    He joins his brother “Si Meson” and “Nellie Meson” in our nuclear family of hadrons.

The parent particles avoided mutual anihilation and are now doing well.

Something tells me I'll have less spare time than before.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats on your new particle and for giving new meaning to the term "nuclear family." :biggrin: :smile:

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations!!!!

Yep, you're going to be a bit busier. :tongue:

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4
    Congratulations on the new 'discovery' :biggrin:, lets hope this new line of particles have an extremely long half-life. Question though... are there any fermions, leptons, or bosons to complement your Chi Meson and line of Hadrons?

Aaah the puns are great, and while im on the subject Chi Meson, couldn't scientists technically shorthand your name to "Chion" like they did with the Pi Meson the Pion?

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats [itex]\chi [/itex] !!!!!111

7. Feb 24, 2005 #6
    :biggrin: Congratulations!! *wrecks brain for something relevant to say*....oh I met a most adorable and demure little girl of 3 a few days ago. Her father took her along to take measurement of curtains for my apartment. Out of her bag of chocolate wafers, she gave me the one and only Ferrero Rocher she had :approve: . Congratulations again :smile: .

8. Feb 24, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations! Hope Mom and son are doing fine.

9. Feb 24, 2005 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Enjoy your "maximal hellicity".

10. Feb 24, 2005 #9
    Congratulations :smile:.

11. Feb 24, 2005 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What wonderful news!!! I am delighted to hear about your new arrival. :smile:

12. Feb 25, 2005 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no leptons; we are all of us very large particles. No bosons at all (can't stand the way they hide inside each other, can you?) Heck, not even a Baryon so we're not even representative of all Hadrons, are we? (We do LIKE the Protons, and the Neutrons, but there are just too too many of them, it's kinda creepy).

There was this cousin of ours, Mr. Cascade Hyperon, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of the guy for years. We called him "kissy" (coz his symbol was the greek "ksi"). He didn't like that. I think he was a Baryon.

And no, I never took to "Chion." But my son, "Si Meson" is known, usually, as "Simon." His sister particle is just "Nell." We'll see what sticks witht he new guy; maybe "Ben"?

Thanks to everyone's well-wishes. Please excuse me if I don't participate much for a while.

And Happy Birthday Tribdog! Whoo-hoo!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  13. Feb 25, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...so is it that common to see a boson become a lepton with about a 9 month half life? :confused: :tongue2:

We'll understand if you don't post as much for a while, or if you start posting strange, incoherent things that can be typed with only one hand in the middle of the night while rocking your little lepton in the other arm.

14. Feb 28, 2005 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No no no! we have a strict rule about conservation of strangeness here!

(Oh my god I never realized the pun potential here!)

15. Feb 28, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Conservation of strangeness??? Hmm...I thought there was an infinite amount of strangeness in the universe. I do believe in conservation of sleep, which means now that you have another little particle sleeping 18 hours a day, those 18 hours of sleep have to be lost from somewhere else, usually from the parents. :biggrin:

16. Feb 28, 2005 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Has the Law of Conservation of Strangeness been recinded? It's similar to conservation of lepton number or conservation of charge; you can have any amount of "strangeness" but in any interaction the total "strange" number remains constant. Or am I old?

You're right about conservation of sleep number. Net sleep gain in our house is indeed zero. This is achieved through the pair production of sleep -antisleep particles. In the first rew weeks these antisleep things were clustered on my a** like freakin higgs bosons! They are starting to anihilate now.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?