1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So what is industry?

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    I feel stupid for asking this question mainly because I've used the term on many occasions and just realized that I'm not quite sure what it means.

Often people choose to go into industry or do research. Obviously there's more choices and some intermixing with the two but that's beside the point.

What is this "industry" people refer to in this context?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2
    Wikipedia's definition:

When people say they want to go into industry, it means that they want to work for a company that produces an economic good or service. Or in other words, they just mean that they want a job/career as opposed to academic research which doesn't have economic value.

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is usually refers to any type of job outside of academia.
    Or simply put, any type of job where you are employed by a company and where the primary goal of your work is to generate profit for that company.

The opposite is where you are employed by e.g. a university, you get most of your funding from funding agencies (usually the government) and your primary goal is to publish your research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook