So who all is doing REU's this summer?

• Thread starter JasonZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, JasonZ and the speaker are discussing their upcoming summer plans. JasonZ will be working at the University of Texas and the speaker will also be working this summer. The speaker has received money from their university to work on a solar evolution code from Los Alamos and is wondering if they can participate in REU's at other universities. They mention that applications for REU's are typically due in March, and as a freshman, the speaker has only applied to work at their own school.
JasonZ
I am going to be doing one at the University of Texas, and I start in just a few days. Anyone else working anywhere this summer?

-JasonZ

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonZ said:
I am going to be doing one at the University of Texas, and I start in just a few days. Anyone else working anywhere this summer?

-JasonZ

I got money from my uni to work on a solar evolution code we got from Los Alamos.

Just a question: Can you do REU's in a college/University other than the one you're attending? If you can, approximately when are applications due for next summer REU's?

Thanks.

Physics_wiz said:
Just a question: Can you do REU's in a college/University other than the one you're attending? If you can, approximately when are applications due for next summer REU's?

Thanks.

Generally you do them at other uni's. I just happen to be working for my own. As for applications, I think March, but it probably depends. Being a freshmen I only applied for working at my own school.

yeah, I've done reu's at both OU, and now UT.

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a summer program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to participate in research experiences at universities and research institutions across the United States.

2. Who is eligible for REU programs?

Most REU programs are open to undergraduate students who are US citizens or permanent residents. Some programs may have additional eligibility criteria, such as specific majors or year in school, so it is important to check the program's requirements before applying.

3. How do I apply for an REU program?

To apply for an REU program, you will typically need to submit an application form, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a research proposal or specific project interests. Each program will have its own application process and deadlines, so it is important to carefully review the program's website for instructions.

4. Are REU programs paid?

Most REU programs provide a stipend for participants, which can vary depending on the program and location. In addition to the stipend, most programs also cover housing, meals, and travel expenses. Some programs may also offer academic credit or funding for follow-up research opportunities.

5. What can I expect from an REU program?

An REU program typically involves working on a research project under the guidance of a mentor or research team. Participants will have the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience, attend seminars and workshops, and present their findings at the end of the program. REU programs also provide valuable networking opportunities and a chance to explore potential graduate school or career paths.