So why do people eat fast food?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the fast food chains have completely distorted portion sizes, making it difficult for people to maintain a healthy weight. They also have created a generation of people who are unfamiliar with how to cook, and who are therefore more likely to go to fast food restaurants.
Evo said:
I think that Math is Hard beat everyone with her battered deep fried bacon

I happened to go on a trip to Texas the week after I saw that online and I actually drove out to the restaurant that serves it. It was dee-lish. They thought I was nuts to have traveled there from Boston for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainQuasar said:
I happened to go on a trip to Texas the week after I saw that online and I actually drove out to the restaurant that serves it. It was dee-lish. They thought I was nuts to have traveled there from Boston for it.

Sorry Captain you are not nuts, just stark staring bonkers. smile.

Contrapositive said:
Well, it's not just regular fat. Saturated, trans-fat, and high levels of sodium are terrible for your body. All the preservatives probably aren't very good for you either.

gravenewworld said:
Yeah you could burn off the calories from fast food, but that still doesn't mean you are healthy just because you aren't overweight. Eating fast food all the time over a long period is bound to build up plaque in your arteries which could cause heart attacks, raise your blood pressue, and mess up your triglycerides and cholesterol levels. No matter how much excercise you do you won't be able to avoid those consequences if you eat fastfood all of the time.

I know its not good for me :( I just do it anyway >.<" sigh. When I'm at home, I think about it and realize its not good for me. But when I'm out with my friends, the current issues are the only ones i think about :( Those current issues being time constraints, convenience etc etc

Often the best restaurants are very modest places. Another good sign is a cat or dog, especially if they're sleeping.

I'm really very glad I can not eat deep fried foods. But if I could, I'd go for that deep fried Snickers!

I'd prefer a deep-fried Milky Way better.

Tip: If you want the best Mexican food, go to a place where the parking-lot seems full (especially with pickup trucks with landscaping tools) and ask the waitress what's the best meal today. Don't try to schmooze her like many southern waitresses will do to you - be respectful and nice and ask what she (or the kitchen staff) thinks is the best meal of the day. You might end up with rice and beans and an enchilada - who knows? Chances are, your meal will be a lot better than you could get ordering off the menu.

I once tried ordering off the menu at a rustic Cajun place in Louisiana, and the waitress grinned at me. I asked if my French was bad and she said "No, your French is very good, but your Cajun sucks!" I asked her to order for me and just bring me a good meal, and I was VERY happy with it.

lol does subway count as fast food? it's good and i don't feel as gross after eating a subway than i would after eating mcdonald's or something.

smashingtime said:
lol does subway count as fast food? it's good and i don't feel as gross after eating a subway than i would after eating mcdonald's or something.
It's fast food, but you can make LOTS healthier choices there than at a lot of fast food outlets. If you get a 6" all-vegetable sub without oil or dressing or cheese, you'll have an OK meal with low fat and low sodium. It might not taste as good as something you could make for yourself at home, but it will be relatively healthy.

My wife takes salads to work. Lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc. She doesn't use any commercial dressing - instead, she spices the salad with my home-made bread-and-butter pickles and my home-made hot chili relish. 0 fat, low carbs, low salt, and a lot of flavor.

turbo-1 said:
It's fast food, but you can make LOTS healthier choices there than at a lot of fast food outlets. If you get a 6" all-vegetable sub without oil or dressing or cheese, you'll have an OK meal with low fat and low sodium. It might not taste as good as something you could make for yourself at home, but it will be relatively healthy.

My wife takes salads to work. Lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc. She doesn't use any commercial dressing - instead, she spices the salad with my home-made bread-and-butter pickles and my home-made hot chili relish. 0 fat, low carbs, low salt, and a lot of flavor.
Not all fats are bad, in fact it has been shown that diets very low in fat don't really have any benefits either. You only really want to stay away from saturated and trans fats. Healthy fats like mono and polyunsaturated fats are good for you. I use extra virgin olive oil on almost everything. Fats from things like nuts and fish are also good.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/295/6/655

gravenewworld said:
Not all fats are bad, in fact it has been shown that diets very low in fat don't really have any benefits either. You only really want to stay away from saturated and trans fats. Healthy fats like mono and polyunsaturated fats are good for you. I use extra virgin olive oil on almost everything. Fats from things like nuts and fish are also good.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/295/6/655
Very true, but the fats used in fast foods are usually not very healthy. I use butter, olive oil, and peanut oil for cooking. Fast foods like French fries might actually be healthier for you if they were fried in lard, especially since lard can be kept much hotter without smoking and the fries would crisp faster and absorb less fat.

The best tasting chips are fried in beef fat, years ago one could buy (scratchings) the little bits of batter that came away whilst frying the fish, i think this stopped when modern oils were substituted i remember well Bolton's fish and chip van, one could tell when it was in the village by the glorious smell.

When I was a kid, I'd sometimes peel and cut potatoes for a neighbor that owned a take-out stand, and she'd "pay" me with French fries. She had two big fryolators - one for all the breaded foods like fish, clams, etc, and the other for French fries only. Everything was cooked very hot and fast in lard, and the spot was a favorite stop for Canadian tourists on their way to Old Orchard Beach for vacation.