Soap Vs Shampoo.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
What's the difference between the two?

turbo

Gold Member
Very little. I prefer to use unscented liquid soap made for hunters, distributed by Hunters Specialties. It is VERY sudsy and economical.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
I had a sneaky suspicion that it's all commercial to buy both soap and shampoo and spend our money by those companies.

turbo

Gold Member
I had a sneaky suspicion that it's all commercial to buy both soap and shampoo and spend our money by those companies.
If you can get that unscented liquid soap, use it top-down and be happy. There is no reason to buy all sorts of specialized stuff to use in the shower. Think of it - when our ancestors jumped into the local pond or river to clean up, did they have plastic squeeze-bottles of chemical goo? Liquid soaps (detergents/surfactants) certainly speed up the cleaning-time, but they are not absolutely necessary.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Very simply soap is a salt of a fatty acid. Detergents or surfactants which are not salts of fatty acids are not soaps.

DavidSnider

Gold Member
It depends on the shampoo. Something like pantene has a bunch of ingredients to make it more shiny or 'bouncy' or smell like fruit or whatever. Soap will work perfectly fine for simply being clean.

Last edited:

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Think of it - when our ancestors jumped into the local pond or river to clean up, did they have plastic squeeze-bottles of chemical goo?
Our ancestors didn't use refrigerators either, but I don't think I've seen you argue that we shouldn't refrigerate food. :tongue:

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Our ancestors didn't use refrigerators either, but I don't think I've seen you argue that we shouldn't refrigerate food. :tongue:
You wouldn't insist on buying a beer fridge separate from the milk fridge,
but my wife seems to think you need separate shower cleaner and bath cleaner.