Comparing Soap and Shampoo: Understanding the Differences

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soap
In summary, the two types of soap are unscented liquid soap made for hunters and shampoo. The difference between the two is that shampoo has more ingredients to make it more shiny or 'bouncy' or smell like fruit or whatever. Soap will work perfectly fine for simply being clean.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
What's the difference between the two?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Very little. I prefer to use unscented liquid soap made for hunters, distributed by Hunters Specialties. It is VERY sudsy and economical.

I had a sneaky suspicion that it's all commercial to buy both soap and shampoo and spend our money by those companies.

loop quantum gravity said:
I had a sneaky suspicion that it's all commercial to buy both soap and shampoo and spend our money by those companies.
If you can get that unscented liquid soap, use it top-down and be happy. There is no reason to buy all sorts of specialized stuff to use in the shower. Think of it - when our ancestors jumped into the local pond or river to clean up, did they have plastic squeeze-bottles of chemical goo? Liquid soaps (detergents/surfactants) certainly speed up the cleaning-time, but they are not absolutely necessary.

Very simply soap is a salt of a fatty acid. Detergents or surfactants which are not salts of fatty acids are not soaps.

It depends on the shampoo. Something like pantene has a bunch of ingredients to make it more shiny or 'bouncy' or smell like fruit or whatever. Soap will work perfectly fine for simply being clean.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Think of it - when our ancestors jumped into the local pond or river to clean up, did they have plastic squeeze-bottles of chemical goo?
Our ancestors didn't use refrigerators either, but I don't think I've seen you argue that we shouldn't refrigerate food. :tongue:

Hurkyl said:
Our ancestors didn't use refrigerators either, but I don't think I've seen you argue that we shouldn't refrigerate food. :tongue:
You wouldn't insist on buying a beer fridge separate from the milk fridge,
but my wife seems to think you need separate shower cleaner and bath cleaner.

1. What is the main difference between soap and shampoo?

The main difference between soap and shampoo is the purpose they serve. Soap is primarily used for cleaning the skin, while shampoo is specifically designed for cleaning the hair and scalp.

2. Can I use soap as a substitute for shampoo?

Although both soap and shampoo are used for cleaning, they are formulated differently and have different ingredients. Soap can strip the natural oils from your hair and scalp, leading to dryness and irritation. It is not recommended to use soap as a substitute for shampoo.

3. Why do I need to use different products for my skin and hair?

The skin on your body and the skin on your scalp have different needs and sensitivities. Soap is designed to remove dirt and oil from the skin, while shampoo is formulated to cleanse the scalp and hair without stripping away the natural oils.

4. What are the different ingredients used in soap and shampoo?

Soap is typically made from natural ingredients such as lye, oils, and fats. Shampoo, on the other hand, contains a variety of ingredients such as surfactants, conditioning agents, and fragrances.

5. Can I use the same soap for my body and hair?

It is not recommended to use the same soap for your body and hair. Soap can be too harsh for the delicate skin on your scalp and can lead to dryness and irritation. It is best to use a shampoo specifically formulated for hair care.