Soccer: Is It Bad for Girls? Learn Why Not!

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary, this person says that soccer is bad for girls because it may affect their ability to reproduce negatively. However, Mia Hamm disagrees and thinks that team sports are more important for girls. There are plenty of benefits to playing soccer, such as developing physical health and self esteem. If you want to play, go for it!
Imparcticle
Someone said that I shouldn't play soccer because I'm a girl...this person says that soccer is bad for girls. Is that true? I don't think so at all.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think that person is talking a steaming pile of bull-plop. There arent sports that are "good for boys" or "good for girls", they benefit both sexes equally...

Why would soccer be bad for girls? That's nonsense! It's a great sport; you get to run, develop skills in agility and hand-eye coordination (or foot-eye coordination, or head-eye coordination, or whatever), learn teamwork, etc. If you want to play, go for it!

Imparcticle said:
Someone said that I shouldn't play soccer because I'm a girl...this person says that soccer is bad for girls.
I asked Mia Hamm and she disagreed...

Seriously though, I think team sports for girls (soccer in particular) are more important than for guys. Guys (in the US anyway) historically were taught the principles of teamwork and competitiveness while girls were taught to follow guys around. Team sports is one of the keys to breaking that mold. That's a good reason for your parents to push you into it, but you should do it for a simple reason: its fun. Not to mention, its physically healthy too.

Last edited:
Soccer has all kinds of benefits for girls.

For one, girls who practice sports have higher self esteem and are less likely to be abused later in life.

Tell your sexist friend to kiss your butt.

Definitely nonsense.
But I'm curious - - did this person say why he/she thought soccer was bad for girls?

Yeah, she said it's bad for girls because it may affect their ability to reproduce negatively.

:smile: Don't they have a cheerleading squad you can join on Planet X?

Imparcticle said:
Yeah, she said it's bad for girls because it may affect their ability to reproduce negatively.
Like.. guys are shy of girls who play soccer? :eek: :rolleyes:

Soccer is good for you and you know it. Socially and physically.

Imparcticle said:
It hurts no more than any other physical activity then. Even if it does affect women's ability to reproduce, the effects are minimal.

Imparcticle said:

This is an old canard. I've heard horseback riding and bicycles dissed for the same reason. It's just a stereotyoe that women exist only to have babies.

And if anything, being healthy and physically fit is only going to help you attract a mate! There is absolutely nothing about soccer that would harm your reproductive system. The only thing to be aware of with respect to reproduction and physical activity is for those who have dropped below a minimum body fat percentage and will stop having regular menstrual cycles (or if the activity is begun earlier in childhood, puberty and menarche are delayed). As long as you make sure you don't go to that sort of extreme, there is nothing else about soccer that would affect reproduction. And, the cessation of menstrual cycles is not at all permanent, as soon as you regain body fat, they will start again. And if you're careful to maintain a healthy diet while increasing your exercise level, which means possibly eating more to support the extra calorie expenditure depending on what your diet currently includes, then you won't have a problem with this.

Just avoid playing soccer during the third trimester. ;)

1. Is playing soccer bad for girls' physical health?

No, playing soccer can actually have numerous physical benefits for girls. It can improve cardiovascular health, increase muscle strength and coordination, and help maintain a healthy weight.

2. Are there any long-term negative effects of playing soccer on girls?

No, there is no evidence to suggest that playing soccer has any long-term negative effects on girls. In fact, regular physical activity, like playing soccer, can have numerous long-term health benefits.

3. Is soccer a safe sport for girls to play?

Yes, soccer is generally considered a safe sport for girls to play. However, like any physical activity, there is always a risk of injury. It is important for girls to receive proper training, wear appropriate protective gear, and follow safety guidelines while playing soccer.

4. Can playing soccer have any positive effects on girls' mental health?

Yes, playing soccer can have positive effects on girls' mental health. It can help reduce stress and anxiety, improve self-esteem and confidence, and provide a sense of camaraderie and teamwork.

5. Are there any barriers for girls to play soccer?

In some areas, there may be societal or cultural barriers for girls to play soccer. However, efforts are being made to promote and encourage girls' participation in the sport worldwide. It is important for girls to have equal access and opportunities to play soccer and other sports.