1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soccer Player 2D motion

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally off a 40m high cliff. If the player hears the sound of the crash 3.00s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? assume the speed of sound in air is 343m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    Position of Y = -40m
    Time = 3s
    Position = Ut+.5at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find the initial velocity of the rock, I know I must first find the displacement it covered in the x axis. However, I am not sure how to continue. I can use the equation Sx = U*t, but I do not know Sx or U(initial velocity).
    How can I derive initial velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hints: How long did it take for the rock to hit the ground? How long did it take the sound to travel back to the player?

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another hint: The rock's initial horizontal does not come into play in determining how long it takes the rock to hit the ground. The initial horizontal velocity only changes how far the rock is from the cliff at the time the rock does hit the ground.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?