Overcoming Social Anxiety: My Story

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not a person's social anxiety disorder should be the topic of their college essay. The other person advises that the writer should not worry about their "profile" and should write about their experience overcoming the disorder, as it is something noteworthy and nothing to be ashamed of. The writer thanks the other person for their encouragement and decides to write about their experience in their essay.
ujjwal3097
I have written a common app essay about my social anxiety disorder and how I overcame it and how it made me stronger but I am bit confused that whether this topic will be apt for college essay.I am thinking it might have a negative impact on my profile but I also want to write about it because it was the major obstacle of my life that I overcome without any medication.
so please help any hep appreciated .
thanks in advance .

Likes edward
Physics news on Phys.org
It is my experience that the less I care about my "profile", the happier I feel. If you are inclined to write about this for your college essay, I would do it. You accomplished something noteworthy, no reason to be ashamed of it.

Likes edward and ujjwal3097
Krylov said:
It is my experience that the less I care about my "profile", the happier I feel. If you are inclined to write about this for your college essay, I would do it. You accomplished something noteworthy, no reason to be ashamed of it.
Thanks a lot for cheering me up ,I am definitely going to write about this in my profile.

Likes S.G. Janssens

1. What is social anxiety?

Social anxiety is a mental health disorder characterized by intense fear and discomfort in social situations. It can manifest as excessive self-consciousness, fear of judgment or embarrassment, and avoidance of social interactions.

2. What causes social anxiety?

The exact cause of social anxiety is unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of biological, psychological, and environmental factors. Some possible contributing factors include genetics, brain chemistry, and childhood experiences.

3. How is social anxiety treated?

Social anxiety can be treated through therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is the most common form of therapy for social anxiety, which focuses on changing negative thought patterns and behaviors. Medications such as antidepressants and beta-blockers can also be prescribed to help manage symptoms.

4. Can social anxiety be overcome?

Yes, social anxiety can be overcome with proper treatment and support. It may take time and effort, but many people with social anxiety are able to manage their symptoms and improve their overall quality of life.

5. What advice do you have for someone struggling with social anxiety?

My advice would be to seek help from a mental health professional and to educate yourself about social anxiety. Also, try to challenge your negative thoughts and practice self-care regularly. Remember that you are not alone and it is possible to overcome social anxiety with the right support and tools.