How Can I Navigate Social Aspects of School as an Older Physics Student?

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary: I would recommend doing some research on the professor you're interested in before you meet them in person. Find out what their research interests are, what their teaching style is like, and whether they are someone you would feel comfortable working with.on part b). It will be hard, but with effort you can make it. You'll need to be proactive and set up some meetings with professors on your own. You can also try joining school physics and astronomy clubs and getting involved in their research projects. Meeting other students will also be helpful.
lubuntu
I am transferring to a do a dual degree in Astrophysics and Physics after many years of knocking about the undergrad system. My new school is pretty reputable and I feel confident about academics but after meeting with my advisors it was made clear to me the importance of meeting with professors and talking to them to find availabilities in research. Also I want to get involved in school physics and astronomy clubs and meet students. So my question in 2 parts.

a) I never had to really talk to my professors in previous classes since I didn't usually need much clarification on material. However I really want to figure out how to start building relationships with some of these professors to possibly work in their labs and/or get letters of recommendation. What are some tips to effectively due this, I'm really shy when meeting new people especially when those people are in somewhat of authority position.

b) I am going to 25 and taking classes with mostly 19/20 year olds this doesn't bother mean since I'm sure the people who are serious about physics will be more mature but how hard will it be for me to over come this. I'll be living of campus so I might have a hard time meeting people. I want to get involved in the clubs but I am nervous about just showing up entirely on my own when I am sure most of the people their will have some sort of pre-established relationships with each other.

Any tips at all help so much. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well PF? Nobody has any tips on soccializing.

The only advice I can think of giving you is to suck it up and start talking to people to overcome your shyness, or see a therapist about any social anxiety disorder symptoms you may or may not be experiencing.

It sounds to me like you're over-thinking things and just need to be yourself. And don't get discouraged if there are immature people in your physics class. There are plenty in mine, and just knowing that their antics are eventually going to bite them in the *** later in life is comforting enough to ignore them.

lubuntu said:
I am transferring to a do a dual degree in Astrophysics and Physics after many years of knocking about the undergrad system. My new school is pretty reputable and I feel confident about academics but after meeting with my advisors it was made clear to me the importance of meeting with professors and talking to them to find availabilities in research. Also I want to get involved in school physics and astronomy clubs and meet students. So my question in 2 parts.

a) I never had to really talk to my professors in previous classes since I didn't usually need much clarification on material. However I really want to figure out how to start building relationships with some of these professors to possibly work in their labs and/or get letters of recommendation. What are some tips to effectively due this, I'm really shy when meeting new people especially when those people are in somewhat of authority position.

b) I am going to 25 and taking classes with mostly 19/20 year olds this doesn't bother mean since I'm sure the people who are serious about physics will be more mature but how hard will it be for me to over come this. I'll be living of campus so I might have a hard time meeting people. I want to get involved in the clubs but I am nervous about just showing up entirely on my own when I am sure most of the people their will have some sort of pre-established relationships with each other.

on part a). My guess is that when you finally start taking major level course in physics, topics will definitely come up that you have some trouble with and you should talk to the professor. Of course, if your professor always teaches a certain course, chances are that his research interests lie in some area related to that course, so if you find yourself taking a class with a professor that you really enjoy, I am sure you will have no problems talking to him.

One thing I personally don't do is brown nose. I don't fake interest in a subject or a professor simply for the sake of buttering them up and and getting a good letter of rec. This may not be the best advice, but personally, I wait till I have a sincere interest in a subject, being taught with a professor that vibes with me. My first year at a uni I never encountered that. Finally this quarter, I've grown fond of group theory and classical mechanics and the two professors teaching those course. So of course naturally, I do not find it hard at all to correspond with them through email and office hours for help with the material and also for opinions on future coursework. THos eare the two classes I am doing best too, so its not that I HAVE TO ask for help, but I want to because they make me want to learn the material much more deeply.

on b) don't be so sure that 19/20yo physics majors are any more mature than 19/20yo majors of something else; I've encountered some physics majors that are truly truly immature. I myself am 32 years old, and while I certianly don't have a ton in common with my classmates, I also have NO PROBLEMS making friends. If people are struggling with a topic I understand very well, I volunteer to help them out. If I don't understand something I don't feel like asking the teacher or TA, I ask my classmates to explain. I often try to talk to a lot of people in class and see if they want to form study groups for homework and tests.

Basically what I am driving at is: if you find a class/professor interesting, then simply start talking to them...about the homework, the course material, the field in general, their research. If you want to make friends or form study groups, then don't let the age thing get you. If you want to be social, all you got to do is start talking to people. Just do it!

Oh yeah...on the idea that you might be concerned about what people might think if you show up to a math club meeting by yourself, think about it this way: you did all the work you needed to do to get into that school. You are just as entitled to everything that school has to offer as the next person, and that includes showing up to the math club meeting. So don't trip over that. If you want to meet people you will.

lubuntu said:

If you find a prof who you want to get to know, I advise reading his/her research papers. Then you can go ask about it - believe me, they love that. After all, who doesn't like discussing something they're passionate about?

Don't worry about the clubs. You'll probably recognize at least a couple people from your classes, and even if you don't they're used to people just wandering in.

What are some social aspects that affect students in school?

Some social aspects that can affect students in school include peer pressure, bullying, social status, and cultural diversity.

How does peer pressure influence students in school?

Peer pressure can influence students to conform to certain behaviors, values, or attitudes in order to fit in with their peers. This can range from something as simple as dressing a certain way to more serious behaviors like experimenting with drugs or alcohol.

What is the impact of bullying on students in school?

Bullying can have a negative impact on students' emotional well-being, self-esteem, and academic performance. It can also lead to social isolation and feelings of fear, anxiety, and depression.

How does social status play a role in the school environment?

Social status can affect students' experiences in school as it can influence their relationships with peers and teachers, access to resources, and opportunities for academic and extracurricular success.

Why is cultural diversity important in the school setting?

Cultural diversity in the school setting is important as it allows for exposure to different perspectives, promotes understanding and tolerance, and prepares students for the diverse world they will live in. It can also enhance critical thinking skills and creativity among students.