Disease in Society: TV Goers, Leisure Time, and More

In summary, the conversation revolves around the theme of disease in society and literature. The speakers mention various examples of disease in society, such as STDs and SARS in China. They also discuss how disease is used as a metaphor in literature, particularly in works like Heart of Darkness and The Plague. The conversation also brings up other works of fiction, such as The Andromeda Strain and The Stand, which feature a virus as a central element. Overall, the conversation highlights the prevalence of disease in both real life and fiction.
Ebolamonk3y
This title is implying the vast disease of society now a days.. the TV goers, leisure time wasters, etc...

It also refers to the diseases in society... the vast spreading numbers of STDs and such...

Also SARs in China (my homeland) and who in the world implanted that deadly stuff in my country... btw, if no one knows, SARs broke out again, the caretaker of a child (his mother) died from the new SARs outbreak... I suspect it might get to full blown SARs craze again in the summer time... I think they did this because they want SARs to remain in China so that the Olympics can be held elsewhere... i could be wrong, but check out the top competators...

Anyways... the theme of disease is widespread in the literatures I was made to read this year... It was good literature, I liked it, I suggest Heart of Darkness... The disease is existent in the mind as well as the society, souls of people, the air... the air...

Anyways
Some feedback would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, disease as metaphor is a big thing in 20th century literature. Try Camus' The Plague.

Virus of the Mind

You might like the "Virus of the Mind". Its a book about memetic diseases I think. I have only skimmed it but own it.

Earth Abides is a pretty famous worldwide-virus disaster book.

Ebolamonk3y said:
Anyways... the theme of disease is widespread in the literatures I was made to read this year... It was good literature, I liked it, I suggest Heart of Darkness... The disease is existent in the mind as well as the society, souls of people, the air... the air...
Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain is a good book; I think it made Crichton famous (at least for me!). I am not sure I know how to pronounce his last name either, "Cry-hh-tunn"?

Then there was a movie, Outbreak (with Dusty Hoffman), based on a disease having to do with monkeys. That was a few years ago.

Come to think of it, War of the Worlds is a disease movie -- only this time it works to save humans, for a change.

The Island is a disease-themed movie but the disease turns out to be fictional in the movie's story.

That's 2 out of how many of this summer's big budget movies? Five, or six? Hmmm... Does anyone else see a trend here?

Dan "Da Vinci Code" Brown has a book titled "Deception Point." Again, it's a story-within-a-story about an alien organism.

Just read Clancy's "Rainbow Six". But any discussion of domsday virus would be incomplete without mention of Steven King's "The Stand". The virus doesn't get the staring role, but it does make up nearly all of the setting.

1. What impact does TV viewing have on the spread of diseases in society?

The constant exposure to TV and its portrayal of unhealthy behaviors (such as smoking, excessive drinking, and overconsumption of unhealthy foods) can increase the risk of developing certain diseases. Additionally, sedentary behaviors associated with TV viewing can contribute to obesity and other health issues.

2. How does leisure time affect the prevalence of diseases in society?

Leisure time activities, such as physical exercise, have been linked to a lower risk of developing diseases. Engaging in regular physical activity can help strengthen the immune system, reduce stress levels, and maintain a healthy weight, all of which can contribute to preventing diseases.

3. Are certain groups of TV goers more at risk for diseases than others?

Studies have shown that individuals who spend more time watching TV tend to have poorer health outcomes compared to those who watch less. This is especially true for groups such as children and older adults, who may be more susceptible to the negative effects of sedentary behaviors.

4. How can we minimize the negative impact of TV on our health?

One way to minimize the negative impact of TV on health is to limit the amount of time spent watching TV and instead engage in more physical activities or hobbies. Additionally, being mindful of the types of TV shows and advertisements we expose ourselves to can also help reduce the risk of developing certain diseases.

5. Is there a correlation between the content of TV shows and the prevalence of diseases in society?

While there is no direct causation, studies have shown a correlation between the content of TV shows and the prevalence of diseases in society. For example, shows that promote unhealthy behaviors or glamorize substance abuse have been linked to an increase in related diseases, such as heart disease and addiction.