Is Having Close Friends Necessary for Happiness?

In summary, the conversation explores the topic of social interaction and the importance of having close friends. The speaker shares their experience of being a introverted person with few close friends in school, but now feeling a growing urge to have more social connections after visiting family. Others in the conversation suggest that humans are naturally social animals and it is important for one's well-being to have social interactions. The idea of being alone versus being lonely is also discussed, with the consensus being that humans need some level of socialization. The thread originator is revealed to be a banned member.
jd12345
Hello, I am a very introverted person and usually enjoy one or two close friends. My whole school life I perhaps had just 2 or 3 close friends.
In college ofcouse I lost in touch of them and was all lonely. But it didn't mind me. I was busy in my studies and enjoying it.

This month I had my vacation and visited my cousins after a long time. My sisters showed such love and care for me that now that I returned home I feel a growing urge to have some close friends, hang out and share things.

I don't know why I am no longer happy with no close friends and no social life. I want to return to my previous state when I was happy alone. Is it really important to have close friends?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, being alone for a spell can be a great way to get things done, but for the overwhelming majority social interaction will turn in from a want to a need at some point.

Into The Wild might be a good movie for you to check out, it kind of deals with the whole being alone for a long time thing.

Being alone is different than being lonely. Humans are naturally social animals. We aren't too good completely by ourselves. We are always changing. You can't go back to who you were before. Figure out who you are now and what makes you happy now. Then accept it and adjust accordingly.

Does having IRC open on a monitor count as a social life?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Being alone is different than being lonely. Humans are naturally social animals. We aren't too good completely by ourselves. We are always changing. You can't go back to who you were before. Figure out who you are now and what makes you happy now. Then accept it and adjust accordingly.

Why can't I return to who I was earlier? The need to have some close friends(especially a girlfriend) scares me. I think it will disturb my studies. Long I have avoided going into relationships just to make my studies smooth but now its almost irresistible.

If you feel the need to create more relationships with people, why would you hold yourself back? In general, socializing more is natural for humans and healthy.

The thread originator is the banned sockpuppet of a current member.

What is the significance of social life?

Social life is important because it allows individuals to form connections and relationships with others, which can have a positive impact on mental and emotional well-being. It also provides opportunities for personal growth and development through exposure to different perspectives and ideas.

How does social life affect mental health?

A lack of social interaction and connection can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation, which can have negative effects on mental health. On the other hand, positive social relationships can improve self-esteem, reduce stress, and provide a support system during difficult times.

What role does social life play in personal identity?

Social life and interactions with others can shape an individual's sense of self and personal identity. Through interactions with others, individuals can learn more about themselves, their values, and their place in society.

How does social life impact society?

Social life is an integral part of society as it allows for the formation of communities and the sharing of ideas, cultures, and values. It also plays a role in promoting social norms and behaviors that contribute to a functioning society.

What are the potential consequences of a lack of social life?

A lack of social life can lead to feelings of loneliness, isolation, and a lack of support. It may also contribute to mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety. In extreme cases, a lack of social life can lead to social withdrawal and a decreased quality of life.