Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Social phobia and anxiety.

1. None. <55

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Moderate. 55-65

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Marked. 65-80

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Severe. 80-95

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Very Severe. >99

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Jun 14, 2013 #1
    I came across this:

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

A simple test that tries to identify social phobia or social anxiety disorder. I am curious to know what fellow forumers are scoring on it and whether you think it is accurate. Is this pseudoscience?

I scored 99, placing me into the "very severe" category, which to me sounds about right. Other members of my family who are mildly to highly extroverted are scoring below 56, which also sounds reasonable if you allow for a small error margin.

Thoughts on this?

Edit: Whoops, sorry I meant to post this in the General forum. Please move accordingly.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

60(fear) + 56(avoidance) = 116
    Although it isn't surprising to me as far as empirical evidence goes; I have had extremely high social anxiety ever since I was a kid. Exactly why I do is beyond my deduction and frankly I doubt I would even care to know why I have such extreme social anxiety. It is definitely quite obstructive though e.g. I can't order pizza via phone or call up customer service associated with various stores because I'm just too scared to talk to people. Heck I still avoid going to fast food restaurants on my own because I'm too scared to talk to the counter people and tell them what I want to eat :p

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  4. Jun 14, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, I scored an 81, which places me in the severe category. Sounds about right.

5. Jun 14, 2013 #4
    I never actively avoid any of those things, so I guess I get a 0. If I want or need to do something, I do it. I don't see any reason to avoid it. I don't quite understand the last one though. Do I "never avoid resisting...."? Not sure how to answer that.

6. Jun 14, 2013 #5
    Same, though it has tapered off a little for me with age. I've worked retail and dealt with people on a regular basis in the past and it helped slightly, but I would feel extremely tired after I got home even if the shift didn't involve much physical activity. As I got older I found ways of "tricking myself" into not feeling embarrassed all the way up until right before a stressful social event. However when I get there I still become a nervous wreck after a few seconds, my senior thesis talk (20-minutes) went down like this and the grading panel called it to my attention later.

I still feel extremely uncomfortable eating in public too, to the point I'd rather skip lunch sometimes if I can't find some amount of privacy.

7. Jun 14, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Yeah I hear ya and it really sucks. I think, in my case, much of it has to do with my self-image. I'm extremely skinny and rather tall and people have made notice of it throughout my life, everyone from relatives to friends to strangers, and it stings every time they bring it up. After a while I just got too embarrassed to interact much socially because of my self-image and the damage is done at this point so I just stuck with it.

8. Jun 14, 2013 #7
    You might be one of the very few blessed with fast metabolism, this is a good foundation to get on a healthy high calorie diet and a 5x5 strength training program!

9. Jun 14, 2013 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

it's got better as I age.
    Those public speaking courses in my forties were life-changing, I was way severe fearful in my younger days .

We'll live up to our self image.
    Self help programs that work on self image are in my opinion on the right track, sorta "Portrait of Dorian Gray" in reverse. As an old timer in my Carnegie class said: "Where the conscious goes the subconscious must follow".

old jim

10. Jun 14, 2013 #9
    I discovered that I have extreme anxiety while in the middle of giving a presentation in my 7th grade english class. I had a severe panic attack and actually had to leave the classroom so that I could breathe; Scarred ever since. Not to mention I have speech class next semester. Yay.

11. Jun 14, 2013 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who could have imagined that, I come out as normal :biggrin:
    Total score of 40.

12. Jun 14, 2013 #11
    I can't look at your avatar. :uhh:

13. Jun 14, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I should also mention that I'm extremely lazy.

14. Jun 14, 2013 #13
    I got a 39 but I have to tell you that it comes from practice. I would've scored much higher 5+ years ago but practice has caused me to lose my anxiety. Many of those situations I would be terrified of but after making a, rather sizable, effort to stop being a pansy I'm no longer scared of many of those situations and do not avoid them. Its kind of funny but I actually take many of those situations as a challenge and will seek them out on purpose just to make my life harder. Like the high pressure salesman or oral presentation. I'm not exactly comfortable with those situations but I do consciously try and challenge myself with them.

I should also say that I'm the kind of guy who once tried to talk an Army recruiter into letting me just do the basic training and then leave. I didn't want to spend years and years in the Army, but I've always wondered if I have the mental toughness it takes to make it through basic training in the armed forces. I've also always wanted to know if I could make it through some of the ascetic practices of Buddhism (like vow of silence or something like that).

Suffice it to say, I believe every person needs to step out of their comfort zone and challenge themselves with things that are extremely unnatural to them. My wife calls it masochism, I call it personal development.

15. Jun 14, 2013 #14
    110 :(
    It sucks... but do we have to live with it? Is there something we can do about it?

16. Jun 14, 2013 #15
    Fear = None Avoidance = Never

fear = Severe Avoidance=Always

I got 15 which seems much too low.

The questions aren't phrased well enough to reflect what does actually causes anxiety

17. Jun 14, 2013 #16
    I got 110. I'm not surprised; I've had many traumatic social experiences (primarily rejection) since childhood which I think have partially led to this problem.

18. Jun 15, 2013 #17
    I had the same reaction to them. None of the situations they mention was intimidating in principle, but all could be intimidating under certain circumstances.

19. Jun 15, 2013 #18
    I think the questions are intended to be holistic. Are they uncomfortable for you in most everyday situations? That is the real question, not the specific hypothetical example of urinating in a public bathroom occupied by a biker gang.

20. Jun 15, 2013 #19

reenmachine

Gold Member

Scored high

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  21. Jun 16, 2013 #20
    29. I used to become nervous fairly easily a few years ago, but I suppose that I've matured out of it and have become more confident in myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook