1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Social Relevance Chemistry

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just needed help finding a social relevance chemistry topic to write about 1000 words on.

It needs to:

-have lots of gritty chemistry

-be socially relevant today (environmental and economic impacts)

-have two sides to the argument

I'm struggling to find a good topic for this. Any ideas at all would be great!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've considered radiation chemistry, but not sure how I can form a debate about it. Will be heading to the library this afternoon to do some reading.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

GLOBAL WARMING - for the gritty chemistry have some discussion of FTIR analysis of molecules such as hexa - complexed compounds of sulfur .
  4. Apr 1, 2008 #3
    The EPA recently released a massive study of various pharmaceuticals and contaminants in America's drinking water, including a huge PDF file outlining the analytical methods they used to find the concentrations and such. Should be pretty easy to find it on Google, and it's got plenty of gritty chemistry.
  5. Apr 2, 2008 #4
    Hi, this sounds excellent. I've done some searching. Found lots of stories about it, but can't seem to find the PDF. EPA website seems like a maze! If it is not too much, could you give me a link?

6. Apr 2, 2008 #5
    Hey, thanks. I can't choose global warming, acid rain of photochemical smog though.
    Thanks anyways
  7. Apr 2, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7
    Hi, do you have a link to the PDF? I've looked on the EPA site, but can't find it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?