Can You Help Me Find a Socially Relevant Chemistry Topic for My Homework?

• Thread starter Hydroxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, finding a socially relevant chemistry topic for homework can be achieved by researching current events and issues related to chemistry, such as environmental concerns, healthcare advancements, or sustainable technology. Additionally, considering the impact of chemistry on society and its potential for positive change can lead to a socially meaningful topic.
Hydroxide

Homework Statement

Hi,

I just needed help finding a social relevance chemistry topic to write about 1000 words on.

It needs to:

-have lots of gritty chemistry

-be socially relevant today (environmental and economic impacts)

-have two sides to the argument

I'm struggling to find a good topic for this. Any ideas at all would be great!

Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

I've considered radiation chemistry, but not sure how I can form a debate about it. Will be heading to the library this afternoon to do some reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
GLOBAL WARMING - for the gritty chemistry have some discussion of FTIR analysis of molecules such as hexa - complexed compounds of sulfur .

The EPA recently released a massive study of various pharmaceuticals and contaminants in America's drinking water, including a huge PDF file outlining the analytical methods they used to find the concentrations and such. Should be pretty easy to find it on Google, and it's got plenty of gritty chemistry.

LtStorm said:
The EPA recently released a massive study of various pharmaceuticals and contaminants in America's drinking water, including a huge PDF file outlining the analytical methods they used to find the concentrations and such. Should be pretty easy to find it on Google, and it's got plenty of gritty chemistry.

Hi, this sounds excellent. I've done some searching. Found lots of stories about it, but can't seem to find the PDF. EPA website seems like a maze! If it is not too much, could you give me a link?

Cheers

GCT said:
GLOBAL WARMING - for the gritty chemistry have some discussion of FTIR analysis of molecules such as hexa - complexed compounds of sulfur .

Hey, thanks. I can't choose global warming, acid rain of photochemical smog though.
Thanks anyways

LtStorm said:

Hi, do you have a link to the PDF? I've looked on the EPA site, but can't find it.

Thanks!

1. What is social relevance chemistry?

Social relevance chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the application of chemical principles to address societal issues and challenges. It involves using scientific knowledge and techniques to develop solutions for problems related to health, environment, energy, and other social concerns.

2. Why is social relevance chemistry important?

Social relevance chemistry is important because it helps us understand and tackle the complex issues facing our society. By utilizing chemistry, we can develop sustainable and efficient solutions to problems such as pollution, disease, and resource depletion.

3. What are some examples of social relevance chemistry?

Examples of social relevance chemistry include developing new drugs and treatments for diseases, creating environmentally friendly materials and processes, and finding ways to produce energy from renewable sources. It also includes studying the impact of chemicals on human health and the environment.

4. How does social relevance chemistry impact our daily lives?

Social relevance chemistry has a significant impact on our daily lives. It plays a crucial role in providing clean drinking water, developing safer and more effective medicines, and creating sustainable products and technologies. It also helps us understand the potential risks and benefits of chemicals used in everyday products.

5. What skills are required to work in social relevance chemistry?

To work in social relevance chemistry, one needs a deep understanding of chemical principles, critical thinking skills, and the ability to communicate complex ideas to a non-technical audience. Collaboration and interdisciplinary thinking are also essential, as social relevance chemistry often involves working with experts from other fields to address complex societal issues.