Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Social Science and other

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I need to take a Social Science credit, but I have no idea what's considered Social Science besides like Economics or something.

Also, I want to take something relatively useful.

Therefore, I'm going to try and get in a Linguistics class to learn Sign Language. They only accept majors, but I'll try anyways. Psychology is out of the question because that's a full year course and I don't need that.

I also get one extra class too. Not sure what I want to take for it though. I wanted to take Analysis, but it goes right on top of my other stuff, which sucks. I might take it anyways and tell the professor I'm going to miss every class or something.

Just in case I can't, any courses I should consider? I'm thinking Electronics. That sounds cool, or maybe even a Computer Science course.

Note: I'm not really interested in bird courses.

Here is the list of courses...

http://www.brocku.ca/registrar/guides/returning/timetable/index.php

Click on the department, and click on the highlighted items. I can only pick first year courses in departments other than Mathematics and Physics. For physics, I pick 2nd year courses. So, don't look into years further than that. Also, don't look at Mathematics because I have enough of those (currently 8).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2
    Man I had to take tons of them....im taking two right now.

The ones I choose were:

-History of Science and Technology
    -Criminal Justice
    -Art Theory
    -Spanish
    -African American Literature
    -Geography

Sooo much work man, ughhhh. That's a full semester, 18 credits, of non-major requirements.

4. Aug 14, 2006 #3
    I think you should take a programming CS class if possible, though I would think that Analysis would be more important for a math major. For social science, I don't know if there is such a thing as a useful one. I would consider Psychology to be somewhat useful, but you said that was out of the question, so how about Sociology?

5. Aug 14, 2006 #4
    I believe political science would fall under that category, you may want to look into that.

6. Aug 14, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We only need to take 1 credit of Social Science.

1 credit means two classes, so in my above thread I should actually write half credit. Therefore, the reason why Psychology is out of the question is because it is a full credit, which is a year long. I already have a half credit, so I only need one more half. I would do it for fun, but then my next is already full. I would need the Chairs permission and all that to have an overload of courses, which I obviously don't want.

That sucks for you though.

7. Aug 14, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Linguistics is full! This sucks.

Anyways, I'm taking Analysis.

There is a conflict though.

Analysis is M W F from 10:00-11:00am, and my Statistics is 9:30-11:00am on W F.

I can just alternate skipping in both classes and the classes are close. So I can show up for Statistics at 9:30 and if I think I don't need to be there, I can skip that and go to Analysis for 10:00 or even 10:15. Professor might hate it though. Oh well.

8. Aug 14, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have an academic advisor for your major? While a lot of courses could broadly be considered a social science, some universities define social science courses more narrowly than a common definition. For example, back when I was in college, psychology, anthropology, history and sociology type courses were lumped together as one area of core/elective courses to take, and languages and literature type courses lumped together in another area, and art and music type courses in yet another. So, taking a language course wouldn't have counted toward social science credits.

Unfortunately, in the end, due to the demanding credit loads for math/science majors, often we didn't get to really choose the elective credits so much as we squeezed in whatever was the right number of credit hours and scheduled at the right time of day to not conflict with our major courses. So, I'd recommend first narrowing the list according to what will fit into your schedule, and then choosing the most interesting sounding of those. Read the course descriptions, because similar course titles can have quite different course content. It's also a good idea to find other students who have taken the course if you can, and ask them what they thought of it, especially if the professor teaches well. You could take a course that sounds really interesting, and turns incredibly dull if the professor is a boring professor, and likewise, one that sounds somewhat less appealing may turn out fascinating if the professor is very enthusiastic and dynamic and has well-organized lecture material.

9. Aug 14, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like a really bad plan. Will they even let you schedule something like that? How will you learn in either class if you skip every other day?

10. Aug 14, 2006 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The professor in Analysis doesn't really teach anyway. But I'll be there every Monday though. I already have taken 2 Statistics courses at my old college, so a lot of it should be familiar. So, in the end, I'll probably skip Statistics more often.

I will let the professors know about the arrangement. I have no choice to do this because I want to graduate after next year with all my Pure Mathematics credits. If don't take Analysis now, I have to wait until next September to take it, and I'd have to wait another year to take Advanced Real Analysis.

11. Aug 14, 2006 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you are taking statistics can you find a social science credit that relates to that, like biostatistics or even consumer science?

12. Aug 14, 2006 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Biostatistics sounds like the most interesting. I still doubt that would count as a Social Science though.

I ended up going with Political Science because it fits really well in my schedule. It was originally what I wanted to take last year, but I couldn't fit it in. I ended up taking Philosophy, which was awesome too.

Hopefully things change and they can fit me in that Linguistics class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?