Sociopathy, bullies, guns, media, ignorance - Not mental illness

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ignorance
In summary, the author is discussing the shooting at a high school, and how society needs to address violence while still protecting individual rights. He points out that it is not just the mentally ill who are prone to violence, but also those who have been victims of child abuse or those involved in juvenile delinquency. He asks the question of where the line should be drawn in regards to registrying, and argues that a society must weigh the benefits and costs before taking such a step.
i'll attempt to sum everyones comments up. 'you never can tell'

Physics news on Phys.org
See I would take a different take. By listening to musicals or creating art, people often sublimate the rage and turn in into something positive. They have more releases to take the rage and turn in into something besides violence. There are thousands of these cases daily, and can even add myself to the list, rage from whatever source can be directed in a less sociopathic direction than a kiling spree. Course that may be even more painful, eg Bill Gates. See I'm thinking Bill is the marquis de sades now life.

It is like such complete nonsense to believe that the tools and toys at your disposal have no powerful influence on yours skills and strategies as to how to cope with danger, this is mindless. Refresh my memory when was the last musical loving, piano player convicted of mass murder?

denverdoc said:
Refresh my memory when was the last musical loving, piano player convicted of mass murder?

When was the last violent video game programmer convicted of murder?

Maybe more acts of violence could be prevented by parents actualizing more concern. I once heard that fathers spend on average less than 15 quality minutes with his children daily.

A dozen kids (ages 4-10) were playing in my girlfriend's condo complex today. They went mostly unsupervised in a neighborhood which, I am told, has more than its share of pedophiles.

denverdoc said:
See I would take a different take. By listening to musicals or creating art, people often sublimate the rage and turn in into something positive. They have more releases to take the rage and turn in into something besides violence. There are thousands of these cases daily, and can even add myself to the list, rage from whatever source can be directed in a less sociopathic direction than a kiling spree. Course that may be even more painful, eg Bill Gates. See I'm thinking Bill is the marquis de sades now life.

That's true of all things constructive, but only if it's by choice. I made the statement of "trying to please somebody else" because when I was growing up I knew several kids who played musical instruments and did artistic things only because their parents forced them to. Playing the guitar is something many kids freely want to learn, and my guitar-playing friends actually liked guitar; they would play it while listening to music. The kids who played things like violin and piano seemed to hate it with a passion because they didn't personally like piano or violin music. Have you ever seen King of the Hill where Kahn is always forcing his kid to play violin? That's exactly how it was.

I made the distinction between playing piano and playing video games in that no parent forces their kid to play violent video games. Sure there are kids out there who actually like piano, I just haven't met one yet :wink: