Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Socks in the Dryer

1. Feb 26, 2016 #1
    In the dryer were one pair wool socks, one pair black polypropylene, and a dozen or so cotton socks. Each white wool sock was stuck to one black polypro sock. Each pair was folded onto one another in a sort of coil.

Benjamin Franklin defined wool as positive, so polypro is negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2016 #2
    I've seen a chart of sorts for levels of "static reactivity" or whatever its called but the further apart on the list the more static "power" they have. I think it has like glass, leather, wool, etc.

4. Feb 26, 2016 #3

Tsu

Gold Member

I am fairly certain that a black hole exists in everyone's dryer that occasionally sucks up just ONE sock and dumps it out onto some random highway somewhere along the west coast of the USA. I've seen so many single socks along so many highways just laying there all lost and forlorn. :oldbiggrin:

5. Feb 26, 2016 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 26, 2016 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sure it has been called before now' non-conservation of parity'.

7. Feb 27, 2016 #6
    Looking up static reactivity there was something about neutron scattering. Maybe the cotton socks acted as a moderator.

Another list seemed to say that human skin had more tendency to become positively charged than anything else except air. Maybe there really is something to the health aspect of it. Neutral materials like cotton are quite rare. The most negative is silicon rubber.

8. Feb 27, 2016 #7
    No, it's ebonite that is found most negatively charged in an triboeletric effect. Silicon rubber is only ranked second from the bottom.:biggrin:

9. Feb 27, 2016 #8
    Or a catalyst, like a spin-foam twist inducer..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook