Is Sodium Hydroxide Compatible with Plastic Drain Pipes?

In summary, the individual is asking for advice on using crystallized sodium hydroxide drain cleaner on a plastic drain and trap in their bathroom. They are unsure of the type of plastic, but have found some limited compatibility matrices online. Another source states that PVC is generally compatible with strong alkalis like NaOH, but recommends cleaning the clog manually if it is mostly hair and soap. However, if the clog is caused by grease, NaOH may not be effective. The incompatibility with plastic may be due to high temperatures, but the reaction with PVC should be fine at room temperature. They also ask if a specific chemical reaction is possible.
Felix83
I have some crystallized sodium hydroxide drain cleaner that I want to use on my bathroom sink drain, but I just put in a plastic drain and the trap is plastic as well. The clog is past the trap, somewhere deeper. So will the NaOH be alright with the plastic? Not sure exactly what kind of plastic - I'm guessing PVC. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
One chemical compatibility matrix - but its limited -
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Sodium Hydroxide

Somewhat better compatibility matrix -
http://www.watson-marlow.co.uk/wmb-gb/p-chem-r.htm

In my experience, PVC is compatiblel with NaOH and other strong alkalis.

However, I would recommend that you simply remove the P-trap and clean out the clog. If the drain is in the bathroom, then I presume the clog is mostly hair and soap. Dissolving the hair is usually what unclogs the drain.

In a kitchen however, grease (or animal and some vegetable fat) is the cause of the clog and NaOH will not necessarily solve the problem.

The drain-cleaning action of NaOH is mainly based on the heat it releases when it dissolves in water. If grease is the cause of the problem the heat should soften it and if hair is the problem the [tex]OH^{-}[/tex] should dissolve it.

Incompatibility with plastic may be caused by the high temperatures involved, at room temperature pvc should be fine. At 100 degrees celcius that might not neseccarily be the case.

btw, would
[tex][CHCl-CH_{2}]_n + nOH^- \xrightarrow{heat} [CH_2O-CH_2]_n + nCl^-[/tex]
be possible?

Last edited:

1. What is the chemical formula for Sodium Hydroxide?

The chemical formula for Sodium Hydroxide is NaOH.

2. How is Sodium Hydroxide used in the production of plastic?

Sodium Hydroxide is used as a catalyst in the production of plastic, specifically in the process of polymerization. It helps to link monomers together to form long chains, which then create the plastic material.

3. Is Sodium Hydroxide present in all plastic products?

No, Sodium Hydroxide is not present in all plastic products. It is used in the production process, but it is not a component of the final plastic product.

4. Can Sodium Hydroxide be harmful to human health when used in plastic production?

Sodium Hydroxide can be harmful to human health if it is not handled properly during the production process. However, once it is used in the production of plastic, it is no longer present in the final product and therefore does not pose a risk to human health.

5. Is it safe to recycle plastic products that have been produced using Sodium Hydroxide?

Yes, it is safe to recycle plastic products that have been produced using Sodium Hydroxide. This chemical is not present in the final product and will not interfere with the recycling process. However, proper handling and disposal of the chemical during production is important to ensure the safety of workers and the environment.