Sodium-hydroxide formula

• Thread starter Gadget_Wizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
Borekah mentioned trying to ionize a second electron off of a sodium atom, but this is not possible under normal conditions as alkali metals typically form +1 ions.
Gadget_Wizard
this is a little thing i just was bouncing around my head and came up with the formula and was just wondering if it would work in anyway.

NaOH7

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No such compound. Sodium hydroxide is NaOH.

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, my bad, hehe, drain cleaner:D

yeah, the energy required to ionize a second electron off of a Sodium atom would be really high. while theoretically possible in certain extreme conditions, it will not happen under any normal circumstances. Typically Alkali metals form +1 ions and will therefore bond easily with -1 ions (like the Hydroxyl, OH-)

The chemical formula for sodium hydroxide is NaOH.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the chemical formula for sodium hydroxide?

The chemical formula for sodium hydroxide is NaOH. This means that it is composed of one sodium atom, one oxygen atom, and one hydrogen atom.

2. How is sodium hydroxide formed?

Sodium hydroxide is formed through the reaction of sodium metal with water. This reaction produces hydrogen gas and a highly alkaline solution of sodium hydroxide.

3. What is the common name for sodium hydroxide?

The common name for sodium hydroxide is lye. It is also known as caustic soda or sodium hydrate.

4. What are the uses of sodium hydroxide?

Sodium hydroxide has many uses, including in the production of paper, textiles, and soaps. It is also used in the cleaning and unclogging of drains, as well as in the production of various chemicals and pharmaceuticals.

5. Is sodium hydroxide dangerous?

Sodium hydroxide is a highly corrosive substance and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin. In its solid form, it can also release toxic fumes when exposed to moisture. However, when handled properly, sodium hydroxide is a useful and necessary chemical in many industries.