Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sodium potassium barrier

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Is there a way to measure the amount of voltage used when transmitting from the blood brain barrier to a particular muscle outside of the skin or is the dermis too thick?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2
    thanks in advance for your input.

4. May 19, 2015 #3
    Hmm, I am by no means knowledgeable in matters of biology, but it seems to me you are somewhat confused about at least the terminology, if not the functionality.
    The blood-brain barrier has no direct relation to nerve signal transmission. Its function is to essentially be a screen for molecules that have no business being in the brain.
    The dermis is just a fancy name for skin. It also has nothing to do with receiving muscle signals; those signals, as should be probably obvious, terminate in the muscle they are supposed to actuate.

Now, if your *actual* question is "how can you measure the voltage difference between the brain origin of the signal, and its terminus in the muscle, the simple answer is: electrodes.

If the question is, can you detect a nerve signal from outside the body, there's a lot of variables involved. Maybe a question better asked in a biology forum.

5. May 19, 2015 #4
    I wish to measure the voltage terminating at the muscle from outside the skin.

6. May 19, 2015 #5
    In contact with the skin, or not?

7. May 19, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I've moved this to the biology forum from General Physics, as it seems like it may require more assistance from our biology-knowledgeable members.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook