Sodium Potassium Pump: Why Cells Maintain Ion Balance

In summary, Cells require K+ for a counter charge balance and this will create a large osmotic gradients, which the cells pump out Na+.
Evil
Why do cells tend to mantain low internal concentrations of Na ions and high internal concentration of k ions despite the surrounding fluid being low in k ions but high in na ions?

Biology news on Phys.org
what a coincidence.. I just about this 30minutes ago for exam revision!

Seems it is necessary in the transport of glucose across the intestinal epithelium.

Glucose+Na (symport) into the epithelial cell.
3.Na expelled into the blood stream, while 2K taken. (uses ATP)
Glucose then diffuses out of the cell into blood.

At least i hope that's right.. cause then we'll both be in trouble.

Also necessary in nerve function i believe, pumping out 3Na while taking in 2K means a net charge of -1 within the cell, returning the negative electrical differences across the membrane after an action potential (where the membrane depolarises).

There's probably thousands of things link to this.

Jikx said:
what a coincidence.. I just about this 30minutes ago for exam revision!

Seems it is necessary in the transport of glucose across the intestinal epithelium.

Glucose+Na (symport) into the epithelial cell.
3.Na expelled into the blood stream, while 2K taken. (uses ATP)
Glucose then diffuses out of the cell into blood.

At least i hope that's right.. cause then we'll both be in trouble.

Also necessary in nerve function i believe, pumping out 3Na while taking in 2K means a net charge of -1 within the cell, returning the negative electrical differences across the membrane after an action potential (where the membrane depolarises).

There's probably thousands of things link to this.

That indicates the purpose, but what is the cause?

Njorl

The cause.. is the sodium/potassium ATPase ion pump? lol

The sodium potassium pump is required to maintain osmotic balance and stabilize the cells volume. If you treat an animal cell with ouabain, which inhibits the Na+/K+ pump, it will swell and often burst.

Cells contain mostly negatively charged organic molecules, so they require cations for a counter charge balance: K+. This will create a large osmotic gradients, that would pull water into the cell, so it will pump out Na+.

The pump is also able to generate membrane potential in nerve cells because of its electrogenic effect, but 90% of the membrane potential depends indirectly on the Na+/K+ pump.

i suppose the next question would be why cells contain mostly negatively charged organic molecules?

http://www.bio.psu.edu/courses/fall2003/biol141_901/membrane_potential/electrophysiology.html

Apparently because of AminoAcids.. maybe DNA too?

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:sCL2TvoIPEsJ:www.csus.edu/indiv/n/nguyenh/Answers%2520to%2520Exams/Bio180%2520Fall2003/24Sep2003%2520Biol180%2520Exam1.htm+mostly+negatively+charged+molecules+in+the+cell&hl=en

*sigh* if only google was allowed during tests :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Sodium Potassium Pump?

The Sodium Potassium Pump is a protein found in the cell membrane that actively transports sodium ions (Na+) out of the cell and potassium ions (K+) into the cell, against their concentration gradients.

2. Why is the maintenance of ion balance important for cells?

Ion balance is crucial for normal cell functioning because it allows for the proper functioning of cellular processes such as nerve impulses, muscle contractions, and enzyme activity. It also helps maintain the osmotic balance of the cell, which is necessary for maintaining cell shape and preventing cell damage.

3. How does the Sodium Potassium Pump maintain ion balance?

The Sodium Potassium Pump uses energy from ATP to actively transport sodium ions out of the cell and potassium ions into the cell. This process maintains the concentration gradient of these ions, which is essential for cell functioning.

4. What happens if the Sodium Potassium Pump stops working?

If the Sodium Potassium Pump stops working, the cell will not be able to maintain its ion balance. This can lead to a buildup of sodium ions inside the cell, which can cause cellular swelling and damage. It can also disrupt cellular processes that rely on proper ion concentrations, leading to dysfunction and potentially cell death.

5. Can the Sodium Potassium Pump be regulated?

Yes, the Sodium Potassium Pump can be regulated by various factors such as hormones, neurotransmitters, and changes in the cell's internal environment. These regulators can increase or decrease the activity of the pump, allowing the cell to adjust its ion balance according to its needs.