1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sodium sulfite solubility question

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    I have a large exam tomorrow in chemistry and know how to do most problems on my practice test except these two

If the solubility of sodium sulfite (Na2SO3) is 27(g/100g water) at 20 degrees celcius, what is the mass percent concentration of the saturated solution of Na2SO3 at 20 degrees celcius?

How many grams of Na2SO3 * 7H2O is soluble in 50g water at 20 degrees celcius?

the answer to the first question is 21 and the 2nd answer is 37 but for the life of me I cant figure out how they got these answers.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2
    For the first one, mass percent of Na2SO3 = mass of Na2SO3 / total mass of solution. If you assume you have a saturated solution with 27 g Na2SO3, what's the total mass of the solution? Then you'll need this result for the next one.

The second one is a little tricky since you're working with the added water in Na2SO3·7H2O. Use the equation for finding the mass percent of Na2SO3 while using x for the moles of Na2SO3 and Na2SO3·7H2O; this mass percent of Na2SO3 must be equal to the mass percent you got for the first problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook