1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software Engineering

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    I'm currently majoring in EE, and it's my first semester and I realized the math class I am in is like so far behind what I am suppose to be in. I know EE is a GREAT job, lots of money, lots of job demand (lots of people want to hire you), and such and such, but the math and physics is extremely intense, and I am already so far behind.

So I wanted to switch my major to Software Engineering. Now the good thing about software engineering is that it's all programming, and I LOVE PROGRAMMING. It's like my second nature, I just get it naturally (unlike math). Even if I don't know a language, it only takes me a few days to learn it.

But the problem is, everyones been saying how there hasn't been much hiring for software engineers. The job demand is bad, and pay isn't that great either. Now compared to EE, I know SE sucks, but I want to know how much scope there is with SE.

I was wondering about your opinions and facts about SE. What do you think about SE?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    "I was wondering about RSC's opinions and facts about SE (PLEASE FACTS ONLY!!). Is the job that bad? Will I get hired in 4 years? Will I be working for under 40k? So, help please. "

How do you expect to get factual answers to these questions?

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know who RSC is, but his advice is all wrong. All it takes is a quick search for "software engineer job outlook" to see. (BTW, learning how to look things up quickly, knowing the right keywords to use is an important skill. Hone that skill. OK, rant off.)

Just a couple of a myriad of hits:

The Computer Science job outlook: Myths and Truths, http://www.cis.udel.edu/jobs/market/ [Broken]
    Myth: If you major in Computer Science you can't find a job. All the jobs are gone, or have moved to India. Truth: Computer Science is one of the fastest growing job fields. Simultaneously, enrollment is down, because folks believe the myth. Result: for those who do choose Computer Science, prospects look very good.​

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Computer Software Engineers and Computer Programmers, http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos303.htm
    Overall, employment of computer software engineers and computer programmers is projected to increase much faster than the average for all occupations. Job prospects should be best for those with a bachelor's degree and relevant experience.​
    Note also that this page is very careful to distinguish between professional software engineers and professional computer programmers. Professional software engineers oftentimes do not do computer programming. In a large organization a design team will get a project going. Once it is up to speed they move along to some other project and a development team will take over. A testing team will work hand-in-hand with the design team to design tests that will ensure the system being built behaves as expected. The design and testing teams are the purview of software engineering. The development team, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 3, 2010 #4
    But the major often has more programming classes than a pure CS degree.

So take a summer to catch up, and if your school isn't too expensive remember that engineering usually takes about 5 years. If you like programming, look into computer engineering. Unless you don't actually like EE, then walk away before you end up all jaded and cynical about it.

Depends a lot on the job market in four years, where you're looking, and what kind of job skills (internships and the like) you've picked up along the way. Generally though, I've seen lots of openings for software engineers at lots of startups and big companies and the starting salary is over 40k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook