1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software for graphing

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    Does anyone know any cheap (preferably free) software or online tools for plotting reasonably complicated Cartesian graphs? I would like the functionality to 1) be able to select the range of x and y over which to view the graph, 2) be able to plot multiple functions on the same graph and 3) plot quite long functions of x and y (though they will not contain anything non-elementary). 2D only needed

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Gnuplot [1] may fit your bill and has been around for a long time (I used it for my papers and thesis ages ago).

[1] http://www.gnuplot.info/

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

+1 for gnuplot.

5. Apr 12, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the recommendation. It seems to work for most things and there's loads of documentation but I haven't been able to get this online trial to plot my y-scale too? e.g. http://toycompute.net/?p=1 it's fine when I try code " plot x**2 " but, say, " plot x**2+y**2=6 " and it just plots y=x^2 again, rather than x^2+y^2=6. I couldn't find any example plots using full f(x,y) functions either. Any idea how to deal with this?

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5
    desmos.com is pretty good as long as you have a good connection to the internet.

edit: If you are looking to make images to publish, this will not do.

7. Apr 13, 2014 #6
    Geogebra

You should go on google and search for Geogebra. It is free, but you need to have jave on your computer, so that you can use Geogebra smoothly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook