Software for Math: Get Started with Mathematica/Maple!

In summary, if you are getting into more advanced math and want a program beyond the ti83, there are several options available such as Mathematica, Maple, MATLAB, and Python. It is recommended to start with one of these programs and then move on to others, as learning the first language will help develop important programming skills. Other options include open-source programs like Maxima and Sage. It is also helpful to ask your professor for recommendations based on your specific interests and needs. If you will be working in Canada, Maple is a good choice due to its being a Canadian product and having readily available literature. Mathematica is also a powerful option, but with larger file size and online documentation.
Funzo
Getting far enough along into math where I'm starting to wish I had something beyond my ti83..

Any recommendations in reguards to which program I should start with?

I've really no idea where to start, aside from googling "computational software"

What is the foremost program? Mathematica? I figure I'd be best off learning the program I'd most likely encounter in a professional environment.

After searching through job offers related to the math-field, they seem to be pretty open-ended into which program the applicant should have experience with, are the programs pretty much interchangeable? If so I'd be leaning towards Maple to support my fellow Canadians :d

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start learning something like python and mathematica (or MATLAB or maple) at the same time. The first language you learn will be the hardest but it will be the first time you have to "think like a programmer." This is an important skill that will transfer to other languages. After you feel comfortable as a programmer (not that you need to feel like an expert) then you can move on to other languages and the language you pick to learn next will be based on what your particular interests and needs are.

There are also open-source computer-algebra packages, notably Maxima and Sage.

If your school uses a particular software tool then it is often very good advice to use that. This can greatly increase your leverage when trying to figure out why it isn't working and be able to exchange data and experience.

You might also ask your prof what they would recommend for the direction you think you might be going.

Hi Funzo - if you will be working in Canada then Maple is ideal, partly because it is a Canadian product, is not too expensive, and there is a lot of literature available, based on its use. It has printed documentation which is much more convenient than 'on-line' docs.
Mathematica is much bigger (at 4.5Gbyte), very powerful, but documentation is 'on-line'. However there are a lot of publications available.

1. What is Mathematica/Maple and how does it differ from other software for math?

Mathematica and Maple are two popular software programs used for mathematical computation and analysis. They differ from other math software in that they offer a wide range of capabilities, including symbolic and numerical calculations, graphing and visualization tools, and programming languages. Additionally, Mathematica and Maple are known for their user-friendly interfaces and extensive documentation, making them ideal for both beginners and experts.

2. What are the system requirements for using Mathematica/Maple?

The system requirements for using Mathematica and Maple vary depending on the version and platform. Generally, they require a minimum of 4GB of RAM and 5GB of free disk space. They are compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. It is recommended to check the specific system requirements for the version you plan to use before purchasing or downloading.

3. Can I use Mathematica/Maple for complex mathematical calculations?

Yes, both Mathematica and Maple are designed to handle complex mathematical calculations. They offer a wide range of functions and algorithms for performing symbolic and numerical computations, as well as tools for solving differential equations, optimization problems, and more. Additionally, they have extensive libraries and resources for advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics.

4. Is there a free trial available for Mathematica/Maple?

Yes, both Mathematica and Maple offer free trials for new users. These trials typically last for 15-30 days and provide access to all the features and capabilities of the software. It is recommended to take advantage of the free trial to determine if Mathematica or Maple is the right fit for your mathematical needs.

5. Can I use Mathematica/Maple for data analysis and visualization?

Yes, both Mathematica and Maple have powerful tools for data analysis and visualization. They can handle large datasets, perform statistical analyses, and create interactive graphs and charts. With their programming capabilities, users can also customize their data analysis and visualization processes to fit their specific needs.