Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software for mathematics

Tags:
  1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    Getting far enough along into math where I'm starting to wish I had something beyond my ti83..

Any recommendations in reguards to which program I should start with?

I've really no idea where to start, aside from googling "computational software"

What is the foremost program? Mathematica? I figure I'd be best off learning the program I'd most likely encounter in a professional environment.

After searching through job offers related to the math-field, they seem to be pretty open-ended into which program the applicant should have experience with, are the programs pretty much interchangeable? If so I'd be leaning towards Maple to support my fellow Canadians :d

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2012 #2
    I'd start learning something like python and mathematica (or matlab or maple) at the same time. The first language you learn will be the hardest but it will be the first time you have to "think like a programmer." This is an important skill that will transfer to other languages. After you feel comfortable as a programmer (not that you need to feel like an expert) then you can move on to other languages and the language you pick to learn next will be based on what your particular interests and needs are.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    There are also open-source computer-algebra packages, notably Maxima and Sage.

5. Aug 7, 2012 #4
    If your school uses a particular software tool then it is often very good advice to use that. This can greatly increase your leverage when trying to figure out why it isn't working and be able to exchange data and experience.

You might also ask your prof what they would recommend for the direction you think you might be going.

6. Aug 18, 2012 #5
    Hi Funzo - if you will be working in Canada then Maple is ideal, partly because it is a Canadian product, is not too expensive, and there is a lot of literature available, based on its use. It has printed documentation which is much more convenient than 'on-line' docs.
    Mathematica is much bigger (at 4.5Gbyte), very powerful, but documentation is 'on-line'. However there are a lot of publications available.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook