Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software for relativity?

1. Aug 15, 2010 #1
    When checking results, solving a problem, simulating a problem etc in relativity, what software do you tend to use?

cheers,

Jason

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

GRTensorII.

4. Aug 15, 2010 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maxima with the ctensor package is free and open source, and it does all the things I've wanted to do. Lots of examples here: http://www.lightandmatter.com/genrel/

Cadabra is a package designed for coordinate-independent calculations.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. Aug 15, 2010 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

Do you mean Maxima ( and its interfaces wxMaxima and xMaxima ) ?

6. Aug 15, 2010 #5

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ugh -- yeah, I meant maxima, not mathematica. Thanks for the correction! I've edited my post to correct it.

7. Aug 15, 2010 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

My pleasure.

If the OP is interested I have a number of useful scripts for GR calculations, covariant differentiation and other stuff.

8. Aug 16, 2010 #7
    Thanks for the replies so far which will have been useful to people reading this thread. When transforming the user defined world lines of a set of particles in one frame to another, would you be advised to use Mathematica, Maple, C++, Java, etc?

To any students or university researchers in particular, what are your main programming languages?

9. Aug 16, 2010 #8

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are these world-lines defined numerically or algebraically? Do you want the result of the transformation expressed numerically, or algebraically? Maxima and GRTensorII are computer algebra systems.

10. Aug 16, 2010 #9
    Numerically would be fine. Even better would be defining the paths the particles take in space either algebraically or numerically as a function of time in one frame, and then seeing how they move in different frames graphically.

11. Aug 16, 2010 #10

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Numerically and algebraically are two totally different ball-games. A lot of people use MATLAB for numerical stuff. The open-source equivalent is Octave.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook